Manchester City

With Anzhi and Zenit they’ve spent big but the lure of playing in the Russian league will never attract the biggest and best. The competition isn’t strong enough for them to have that level of confidence needed to take them that extra step.

1 Like

I think you could say that if they made the final in the first few years after the takeover but 10+ years down the line with all the money spent it was just a matter of time :grin:

1 Like

Lol

3 Likes

Fair play to the lad. Knows the title is in the bag, knows the golden boot is a million miles away and knows his City career is over, so he might as well attempt to make Twitter hipsters think he’s a genius rather than score a big standard penalty.

5 Likes

He’s missed a lot over the years. Surprised he still takes any.

1 Like

I made a friend whilst working abroad, he is one of the directors of a company called Oredoo, which is a massive telecom company in Qatar. He basically told me that because of the risk of massive inflation and instability in the region, the Qatari government and the wealthy there focus on taking money out of their economy by buying up plots of land around the world, football clubs and other large projects etc… don’t really have any info on their economy but it makes sense to me, so have to agree with you in that I doubt their spending will ever slow down, at least not in the near future.

2 Likes

Hope they lose again against the Chavs in the CL final.

2 Likes

Man City seem to miss a lot of penalties in general. Think I saw a stat that they had missed 9 since last season.

This is why i keep advocating for Ederson to take them.

3 Likes

Let’s face it, it’s probably also a ton of fun to own a team operating in that stratosphere of a budget. You’re basically playing a combination of Football Manager and Sim City.

See a promising player? Buy them.

Want weird ass paisley kits? Hire Puma to make them.

Don’t like the badge? Change it.

It’s got to be fun. Everything is more fun when you have unlimited money to spend on a hobby.

1 Like

To be fair there is nothing stopping our owner doing the same thing.
At least with Chelsea and Man City there owners want success.

1 Like

3rd league title in 5 seasons for the bald fraud.

Has to be the most underwhelming way the title has ever been confirmed. At random o clock on a Tuesday evening because of a game they weren’t even involved in.

7 Likes

They’re kinda boring tbh. I don’t love the way they play. It’s ruthless but kind of bloodless.

2 Likes

I’d take an underwhelming title win any time over this football purgatory :santi:

@Joshua: This season they’ve had to be far more reliant on defence rather than blowing teams away like seasons gone by but at their very best IMO you won’t see many more exhilarating teams to watch.

3 Likes

It’s actually for me the most impressive they’ve been.
He’s tweaked things and brought a hell of a turnaround on a moderate start to the season. They’ve been ruthless from just before Christmas.
Coming off a bad season they’ve managed Europe pretty easily really and not lost focus in the League.
Gundogan has developed and Foden has become a fixture and Dias has taken Kompany mantle.
This is City’s most complete team for me.

4 Likes

Ruben Dias has been incredible.

2 Likes

Should win player of the season.

He was the catalyst no question, think even City will admit they didn’t expect him to be this good.

2 Likes

I didn’t say the title win was underwhelming. They’ve been very good really. Was just talking about the lack of fanfare on the day itself. Obviously I wouldn’t care if that was us.

2 Likes

I agree.
To win the PL title so convincingly, as well as winning the League Cup and getting to the CL final, is some achievement.

In the last few seasons Aguero, KDB and Sterling were arguably his three best players and for a lot of games this season they have been either injured or not at their best.

They don’t have any players that would be considered elite but they do have a lot of top quality players which Guardiola rotates with great effect.

3 Likes

Whaaaat?

How are you saying De Bruyne isn’t elite?

3 Likes