Lucas Torreira

I think we’ve been robbed here tbh, one year of him playing in Italy and he’ll be worth a fortune.

If it gives us the funds to move on with our other targets then fair enough but I still wish we knew how to sell our players better. Torreira isn’t even what I’d consider deadwood.

6 Likes

Best of luck back in Italy Lucas.

Shame it didn’t work out here

We’d actually be losing money if those figures are legit.

Crappy deal but if it helps us sign our top target/s then has to be done, hopefully we won’t be making such missteps in the market going forward.

2 Likes

The problem isn’t that he hasn’t been good. Injuries, bad timing and his competition stepping up has been the problem.
I don’t think him, or at least his agent banging on about him going back to Italy has helped matters either.

This is a classic case of a player needing a change of scenery.

Di Maria looked like a bum at Man Utd after having the season of his life at Madrid. Going to PSG helped him finding his feet again. He’s been low-key balling like a mad man there and is one of the few who turns up when they play in the UCL.

Decent enough to spend €28m or whatever it was and 2 years later recoup €24m when it’s not entirely working out.

2 Likes

IMO, he just isn’t made for the physicality and openness of the Premier League. He can’t advance the ball as a dribbler and, despite good technique, he doesnt seem to have the risk taking personality to be an incisive forward passer, so he is a liability in terms of ball progression as an 8. But he has physical limitations as a DM. He’s obviously small and while very quick in short spaces, he isn’t that fast over distance so he can be exposed in a very open game.

His role under Arteta was really limited to coming on late in games we were defending a lead and playing a low block, then running around like a terrier harassing opposing midfielders to see out wins. We can find somebody else to do that.

1 Like

I mean, like him as I do, the only way to describe him is as a completely flop so a €4m loss in this current environment is actually decent.

Let’s be honest his career was over before it started, absolutely ridiculous to waste money on a player then allow the manager to take the huff because he didn’t get N’zonzi or Fabinho. Losing 4 million euro’s on Torreira is just another way Emery and Gazidis set up back by about 5 years.

I’ll take the money as I want Arteta to have the opportunity to use his own players but I can’t help but feel like Torreria is a good enough player that we shouldn’t be losing money on him at all, I think I’d prefer a loan with 3-4 million loan fee, and try and sell him next summer when the market settles. That being said I have no idea what his contract is so it might be time to just cash out. Shame though.

4 Likes

Yeah, a big midfield signing need to take place his sale.

We should be able to get Partey

1 Like

Right player, wrong time, maybe. I don’t agree with calling him a flop as such, as he didn’t really do anything wrong. He just didn’t fit.

Looking forward to seeing him for Fiorentina.

9 Likes

Yeah, sometimes these things just don’t work out. Regardless of the qualities some of us see in him, regardless of the thoughts we have about how he could potentially be of use, it just clearly isn’t working out and it’s time for both parties to just cut their losses and move on. It’s a shame as I was initially impressed and really liked him. Wish him the best, even if it’ll be galling to see him excel elsewhere.

1 Like

24 m euros is nominal value of a good player.
We should expect more.

I think 24m is fair. Most clubs are broke, and I expected to sell for less than that.

I think he’s perfect for Serie A and can see him signing for AC Milan, Inter or Juve within three years.

3 Likes

Would have said minimum of £25m, but I guess that’s only 3 and a bit shy of that figure.
By itself I’d say this is a poor deal, but ultimately depends on what we’re going to do with the money. If it means we can afford Partey/Auoar when we otherwise couldn’t then it’s a good deal even if we’re not getting the level of funds of what he’s worth…

He unfortunately wasn’t the right fit.

@BigWeng_4LYFE and @Bavin were right. He wasn’t big and athletic enough to be a big presence in midfield in this current era, and wasn’t inventive enough with his passing either.

Italy is a better fit for sure.

Maybe we could wonder if he wasn’t exposed to lethal doses of smalldicking but not too long.

Italian clubs are absolutely pitiful with their shite this year though.

Juventus aren’t buying anyone worth a damn this summer before any relevant player gets linked there. Poor bums.

2 Likes

Not particular ecstatic about letting go of this bloke as i like his abilities and workrate.
Ever since we got him there has been noise about him wanting to leave, so i guess he never got settled in London.

If it means we can now go and get Party or Ouaaar, then we will certainly be in a better position going forward.

The guy is a DM clear as day (impressive his last season in Italy too) and we continually tried using him as a b2b creative midfielder :joy::joy: I mean it makes sense he was a Sven buy to play in Wengers system which everyone was excited about at the time but with subsequent managers he never fit in. He did have a smashing performance against Portugal at the world cup or whatever lame international tournament it was that summer we bought him, but he’s wasn’t the new Santi Cazorla by any means as some were touting him to be :face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Guy was an enigma most of the time he was here.
Crying in Baku getting subbed off. Whinging for Xhaka. Really can’t see why you go around the world too pick players like this up. Surely having academies you can produce this level of player.

1 Like

Always looked like a bad footballer to me.
10th placed Fiorentina sounds about right.

2 Likes