Lucas Torreira

He was such a let down. Definitely on the top list of disappointments.

He’ll probably end up moaning and whining and doing the same thing again.

1 Like

1 Like

The vitriol towards him is absolutely unwarranted.

Some transfers just don’t work out. Emery was pretty clear that he wanted a big lump in midfield a la Nzonzi and we gave him Torreira instead. Once he started playing him further up the pitch it was over imo.

Arteta came in and didn’t like the cut of his jib and we had a real difficult time moving him on. Maybe he’s getting bad advice, maybe his agent is awful to deal with, maybe Fiorentina fucked us over in what should have been a very straightforward deal.

What I’m continuously confused by is the amount of anger directed towards him as a person because he dared to say he doesn’t like living in England. I’d much rather have a player speak up about wanting to leave and then get out than constantly talk about how he wants to stay and fight for his place when we all know its over. And if people are upset about him wanting the money the club agreed to pay him, that’s not his fault, that’s the club’s fault. Raul signed him to those wages and the club has to honor it.

1 Like

Hi Lucas, welcome to OA

2 Likes

I used to agree but I’m firmly in the fuck him camp now.

3 Likes

I mean, no doubt, fuck him for taking forever to find a club. But we all (myself included) wanted him gone. I just don’t understand why people hated him so much. Like I said, I’d rather a player be up front about not wanting to play for the club than trying to lay back and cash a check.

I do honestly wonder about his agent’s influence. We know that Fiorentina have issues dealing with agents and maybe Torreira’s rep was trying to sweeten the deal a little bit too much. We’ll never know the full story but I think he may be getting some not so great advice.

1 Like

Oh fuck off. Wanting a transfer is one thing. Virtually refusing to play but claiming wages till the right offer comes along is totally different.
Making things up about Arteta too. He was never available too him.
30 million investment and he wants away on full pay.
Fuck that logic. How can you run a club if players done this as a regular thing.

2 Likes

Oh fuck off yourself. He’s already owed that money! He’s entitled to it. People lose their shit over players “stealing a living” or nonsense like that, but they should be blaming the club. If a player wants to cancel a contract and forgo wages that’s one thing but he’s not under any obligation to do it.

And he was absolutely available to Arteta. He wasn’t injured when Arteta took over in December 2019. Based on what we know now about how Arteta wants his midfield to play, I think he’s not really suited to that. He can’t pass well enough imo.

Your anger should be directed at the club not the player. It’s the club’s fault. Should have sold him summer 2020 when we bought Partey.

Did Arsenal already announce his departure? Would love it if they just let it happen without giving it any attention.

Bye hobbit

No man on earth earns close to 100k by kicking a ball about. They do but shouldn’t.

I’m with you. I’m more annoyed at the club for allowing this situation to go on this long.

No one wanted to buy him permanently in 2020 or 2021. What are they meant to do exactly if the bids don’t come in?

Edu could have easily used the big red “CANCEL CONTRACT” button that’s on his desk. But then people would kick the club for canceling a deal.

With two/three years left on the contract? That would be fucking insane. We got two (probably small) loan fees and whatever of his wages were covered instead.

Pretty positive we sorted out a deal for him with a Serie A club in 2020 like he initially wanted but he rejected it at the last minute because he Cholo convinced him about Atleti instead.

It’s again a similar point to yours though. Club can’t do much here. It’s the same thing with Bellerin now. He wants Betis, he doesn’t care about the rest so our hands are tight and we have no leverage.

Yeah I’m not saying it would have been smart. But that’s always an option. The club were in a pickle. He was on too much money relative to his talent/output, he was only attracting interest from clubs that were happy to lowball and/or broke from COVID and he was being particularly picky about his destination.

If the signing doesn’t work out it’s on us. All intense and purpose it did though.
He threw the wobble not us, so it’s on him. He took our deal and then chose not to play.
He screwed us over.
Fucking Boca Juniors nonsense. What was that all about.
Italy,England,Spain, Turkey. He need a fucking sat nav. or what.
Mans a rat and a liar. Fuck him.

1 Like

I am all for players taking charge of their careers & making changes. My problem with Torreira is how poorly he handled the whole situation.

• When Arsenal approached him, he should have done his due diligence before coming here. UK’s & London’s weather, culture, lifestyle is not a secret that one can only come by & experience. He could have contacted n number of players from South America to understand the kind of challenge in front of him. Regardless of the nature of the transfer market & exorbitant prices being thrown around, as a player you have to respect that someone just spent 24m on you and you have to make sure you are not wasting their efforts.

• If playing for Emery was unfulfilling, He could have made it work with Arteta. He saw Arteta win the FA cup & decided he doesn’t want to be part of it. I don’t get that mentality.

• His approach towards his transfer should have been akin to Xhaka. If there is no decent move for you, don’t act so desperate that you end up with an unfavourable loan move which does.

1 Like

How did he choose not to play? I don’t recall him refusing to play from December 2019 through the end of Project Restart. He might not have played much, but I’m unclear how he chose not to play. He doesn’t pick the team.

Maybe he has different priorities? Maybe he didn’t mesh with the coach? We’ve all had bosses we don’t necessarily get along with. I think he talked too much in the press about where he wanted to play and how he was unhappy but I see it as more of a sad thing than how some folks see it as him being greedy or a “rat” as @Stroller put it. And I don’t mean sad as in “oh boohoo, you’re making millions of pounds, fucking suck it up” I mean it in a human sense that he spoke openly about being unhappy, missing family, his mother dying and that’s just kind of a bummer. Not surprised that some folks equate that kind of openness with weakness though.

Again, he’s as much to blame as anyone if he was dragging his feet over leaving but if the club put him on big wages they should have done their due diligence as well. It doesn’t seem like it would have taken Sherlock Holmes to figure out that he might not have adapted to London well.