Lucas Torreira

It doesn’t really matter if he’s insisting on going back to South America for his own mental health. Boca Juniors wouldn’t pony up €40m even in a pre-covid world. Props to him for being open about it. Being young and losing your mom like that is awful.

1 Like

I’ve also seen this quote do the rounds online.

“It’s not violent emotion or a crazy decision for my mother. I’ve always said that I wanted to play for Boca. I’m dying to play for Boca and I’ve always said it. If not now, in June. The night my mother died one of the first to receive the news was my agent. I don’t want to play in Europe anymore, I want to play for Boca.
I want to be close to my home, my family. My contract is with Arsenal and I’m on loan at Atleti but I want to go to Boca. I hope that the clubs agree. I haven’t had a good time personally for two years, without continuity. Arsenal hurt me and Atletico don’t play me as I want. I just want to play for Boca. I’ve already made the decision. I’m doing it for my old man.”

Appreciate he’s going through a tough period but why did this have to a public matter? Why is he forcing our hand yet again?
Let’s be real here. Torreira and his agent haven’t been conducting themselves well at all since coming here. This is 5th/6th time now that they are publicly putting Arsenal in a tough position.

Last thing we want is to set a precedent for players to go public every time they’re frustrated so they can force the club to grant their wishes.

Toreira has been crying about leaving since he joined here. Either it was he HAD to go back to italy, or he simply has to play for Atletico. He’s a weak minded player not built for a big team imo. Part of the reason hes been a disaster at Atletico.

1 Like

Yeah definitely. The narrative has changed now with Boca.
He was never happy here and always wanting away with Italy being mentioned. Fair enough things can happen where you may not settle. Gotta chance at Madrid and hasn’t worked out but don’t be rewriting history with Boca stuff now.
Started well here but died in the second half of the season here when he first came.
Lost his way in the last two seasons and he’s got a lot too do to get it back because it’s not an exceptional skill set.

Who does he think he is dictating which club he’s sold too? He cost £30m or so and Boca have a transfer record of something like £7m. They won’t be able to pay half of his wages either. We need to flog him off to Italy or maybe we can hope Emery is a fan and he’ll take him to Sevilla

I’m just going to assume he’s got the missaprehension that because they’re a big club in South America that he believes Boca can afford him.

1 Like

He’s not really helping our position here with regards to getting a good fee for him, but we’ve played more than a small role in fucking his potential value, as we have with a good many players. He was clearly never happy here, wasn’t treated or utilised particularly well, and Atletico hasn’t worked out for him at all. On top of that his mum has just died at a tragically young age and he says he desperately wants to be back in South America and near his family. Maybe he is mentally weak anyway, and this is just the latest in a long line with him saying he absolutely must play for x team in y country, but I just find it hard to hold it against him really. I’m not saying the club should necessarily cave and let him go there for nothing out of the goodness of our hearts, but I also don’t blame him for being unequivocal in stating his desire to go there, I can’t see why he would feel like he owes us anything.

2 Likes

He’s obviously seen what we’ve done with the likes of Sokratis, Mustafi and Ozil and now feels the same will be done with him, we haven’t really helped ourselves there when you combine it with the way people like Alexis and Ramsey left the club as well.

1 Like

That’s fair but it has to change somewhere. He’s been signed under the new set up.
Be prepared to take a bit of a hit but anything under 20 to 25 million he can get on with.
I’d lump it in with part of the culture thing that Arteta says needs addressing. He’s been a massive let down as a signing. Can fuck right off with Boca love ins. We have had well enough of these scenarios.

I thought we paid about £23 million for him in the first place, nothing has happened to increase his value, quite the opposite in fact - so whether we like it or not, we all better get ready to take a far bigger hit than you’d be happy with.

Okay my bad. Thought it was 30 tbh for some reason. Adjust to 15 then.

BBC says £26m, shop him around Spain and Italy and sell him to the highest bidder.

2 Likes

For starters, we paid a hefty fee for him and he has a contract with us. He also forced a move to Atleti and we granted his wish.
I don’t understand exactly how we have treated him badly. He wasn’t ostracized like Ozil or Guendo. I can understand them two going public about it.
Is he bitter because he lost his spot to Ceballos? Or is it because that prick Emery used him at #10 for a couple of games.
I mean, this has been happening even when he was doing well in his first months. Complaining about the weather, saying he wants to go back to Italy because it’s sunny there and nonsense like that.

1 Like

He started his career with us by playing well in his favoured role, before being moved to the position of fucking number 10, and then never really getting a sustained chance back in his actual position. Thats what I mean by him probably not feeling like he has been treated/handled very well.

So what, why would any of that make him feel like he owes it to us to make sure we get a good fee, if doing so will harm his happiness, mental health and career? Him having a contract with us means he has to honour that contract if push comes to shove, which he would do, but it doesn’t mean he needs to be obscure about where he wants to be playing in order to help us get a good fee, there’s no reason why he’d give a fuck about that because us getting a good fee sits in direct opposition to him getting to play where he wants to.

I’m not saying its the classiest movie on his part, my point is more that I cut see any reason why he would or should particularly give a shit. He was never happy here in the first place, wasn’t handled well by the club and has now lost his mum at a very young age and is desperate to be back near his family. If I were him I’d behave in the same way, its stupid to expect him to put the clubs interests above his own, why would he?

We didn’t want him here this season, so having him go was mutually beneficial, let’s not act like it was a great act of benevolence on the club’s part.

2 Likes

Where does he want to play though because it changes like the fucking weather with him.
Uruguay, Italy, Spain,Argentina?
He signed the contract to come. Hasn’t worked out. Fine . Hes not the first but lets not make out he’s been treated badly by the club.

3 Likes

Well, he wanted to go to Italy for so long. We found him a couple of clubs in Italy which would interest him and satisfy us financially. He ended up rejecting them all late in the window because he got a call from Simeone and got convinced he should join them instead.
Atleti couldn’t get him on a permanent so we had to accept that he would leave on loan. Now he’s unhappy he’s not playing.

I believe we’ve done enough to satisfy the guy. Just try and keep things privately. I feel if this was any other player we wouldn’t be so happy with how he has been conducting himself.

1 Like

Just say Xhaka ffs. :xhaka:

Didn’t Xhaka mention that he’ll consider his future after the season ended in 2019 and people got mad because he was supposedly acting like he’s bigger than us? :joy:

1 Like

Italy at first cos he didn’t settle here, its somewhere he had previously lived and obviously felt comfortable. Understandably he then went to Spain when a massive club wanted him and he was neither wanted nor needed at Arsenal, with Spain being a place that’s a lot more culturally similar to where he is from compared to England. And now finally he says he wants to play in Argentina and Boca because its near to home, and this latest change in preference coming about cos his mum is dead and he wants to be near his family.

If my mum died I’d hope most people would understand if it made me re-evaluate where I wanted to live and work. If you lost a family memher and wanted to move closer to the rest of your family you probably wouldn’t want people to unkindly remark on your opinion changing like the fucking weather haha.

It’s not that I think he’s been treated appallingly, but I don’t think he’s been treated particularly well either, perhaps that’s a more accurate way for me to put it. It’s not all on the club how his time with us has gone, he’s obviously responsible too, but I don’t think there’s any reason for him to look at his time here and to think that anyone at the club really aided his development or his career.

I don’t think either party owes the other anything here, so if he’s looking out for his own interests, I have no problem with that. Had we treated him very well, aided his development etc, then I might expect more from him. But we haven’t really, so I don’t expect him to be putting the clubs financial interests above his career plans or happiness, cos I just can’t see why he would.

1 Like

Ultimately when he realises Boca will be offering him 1/3 of what he makes here he’ll probably change his mind.

2 Likes

We asked him too play number 10 and je wasn’t suited and I get that a bit. It’s not though big an ask though in real terms.
It’s an opportunity for me too accept the challenge. Okay he wasn’t suited and then things got worse for everyone but we can’t just put his want before our needs.
He’s done better out the deal than we have financially at least. Only fair we should get a bit back that we need.
We can’t carry on losing out and looking amateurish. If he has too be the start of that, so be it.

2 Likes