Lucas Perez (Transfer complete)

I usually atleast have some idea when a footballers’ name crops up, but who?

Only 1 quality season and he’s 27 but his cheap so yeah this sounds like it could actually happen.

Arsene’s words are ringing loudly in my ears, in his French accent…we will only buy top top quality

Riiiiiight!

2 Likes

Better than not signing anyone at all, and the reason I say that before anyone starts quoting this and highlighting that bit out of context, is that Giroud is a much better player when he doesn’t have to do a full 90 minutes every single match for us. We’ll be immediately improved if there’s another option there even if it is someone who isn’t going to set the world on fire.

It’s not the same as Jonny Evans where we’d be bringing in an average player to fail to make our defence more than average. This will help, even if it’s not the improvement everyone, including me, would hope for. We need to remember all chance of title contention is already gone, we need to make sure we can actually compete in the top third of the table at all this season.

3 Likes

I agree this is a signing that will provide an alternative option to Giroud and help us compete for 4th place…

2 Likes

So he waits for more than four seasons, insisting we will only buy “super quality” and only players that are better than what we have, and this is what he comes up with.

Let’s just hope that, like all the other rumours, it is not true.

4 Likes

This is taking the piss, so we have enough money to get Xhaka (who I love is at the club, but I don’t think we need) and this guy, who are worth a combined total of £50 something million, but we couldn’t of just put up £40 million for lacazette the first time round! Fucking bollocks

1 Like

People only watch the PL and CL I take it? Perez ripped up La Liga, scored some worldies, very good finishing and creating in a relegation outfit (17goals/10assists) great pace and movement and very good close control under pressure that few strikers have. I picked him as 1 of the strikers we should be in for that reason and welcome the news.

If he is so good, why has Wenger waited almost the whole transfer window to decide that he is the player he wants?

Also, why have none of the other clubs who have bought strikers in this window ignored him?

1 Like

Messi Minutes @MessiMinutes
El C: #AFC and #EFC aren’t the only clubs to enquire for Pérez this summer. Atleti, Sevilla, Barça, Villarreal, Napoli & Leicester have too.
11:39 PM - 24 Aug 2016

Barce have been linked to him for a few windows, they have a thread on their forum and rate him highly, so if he’s good enough for them…We were linked to him in the winter to. Why it’s taken so long? Who knows, maybe Wenger thought Alexis could play as CF.

Because he hoped he would be able to sign greizmann

Well it’s obvious that Wenger’s first choice was someone else.

That doesn’t mean this guy is not good.

All very good points Leper. i don’t need to tell you, and At the risk of sounding like a stuck record…to really challenge for the title (and to be able to progress further in the CL) we need a 25+ goal (just in the league) a season striker.

This ordinarily wouldn’t bother me, but IF all we end up with as our new forward is this guy, well Wenger only has himself to blame each and every time we slip up this season due to failing to score. we’ve had since June 9th(?) and we have the money to get that striker (not to mention that CB), there really is no excuse to have failed again.

The really baffling thing about all this, Wenger is not stupid, nor a fool, he surely must know all this, so why he continually fails is beyond me.

But there’s still time for Wenger to shock us all, he certainly has it in him.

Edit, maybe i’m being harsh on the guy. he could turn up and kill it. IF we get him, and IF he does well, then i eat my words.

1 Like

Maybe you could elaborate why he struggled in the Greek league only a few seasons ago then ?

1 Like

Give him a chance guys. I’m sure Wenger will turn him into a world class striker. He is fast and will be a good partner for Özil

1 Like

Ornsteined.

2 Likes

Not done deal

Lol, the story of our lives as AFC fans lol

I’m not against this signing but a little bemused that this is the striker we’re saving funds for which justifies being cheap over bringing in a quality CB?

OK Wenger.

4 Likes

Seems to have certain attributes that would be useful for us. Isn’t a slouch like Giroud, good movement, decent technique, something you expect from a Spaniard, and most importantly of all he can finish. Unlike your Girouds, Welbecks and Walcotts this guy looks like a has a certain amount of finesse infront of goal.

He could come in and flop or be a bargain, it’s one of them ones.

For 16-17M it’s worth the gamble I say.