Lucas Paqueta

“I wasn’t placing bets on me picking up yellow cards, it was my mate” isn’t going to look good if his mate turned out to have a cunning knack of only placing bets before matches where Lucas got booked.

Though once again photos of the accused wearing a shirt with a betting company sponsor on it does send very mixed messages.

Seems a bit harsh to ban him. I think we need to go easy on him. If he’s happy to lucas in the eye and say he’s sorry and that he made a mistake, I’d be happy with that.

Edit: already made a pun using his first name, looks like it’s time for me to paquet-in

4 Likes

Far worse than anything Toney did if that’s what’s been going on. The ban will be lengthy. Surely moves to a different country before the window closes.

This sounds like an open-and-shut case tbf.

Odds shifted so significantly that even the average Joe noticed that something ain’t right

2 Likes

He actually did get booked in the game too :flushed:

He’s not good at being subtle is he!

https://twitter.com/xmonicamusic/status/1692623968203608540?s=46&t=LlMNFvsPPy2ozwuX8FhQrA

What an idiot.
West Ham have lost a potential 90m transfer because he wanted to win a few quid on a bet.

Another footballer with a gambling problem?

Nope. A footballer who found a way for people around him to make money off his own deceit.

4 Likes

Seems pretty similar to the Xhaka case to be fair. Maybe the betters were more closely connected to Paqueta but absent stuff you can only get via a criminal investigation - phone records, texts, etc - it’s going to be hard to prove. Paqueta can always say something like “I was in an awful mood and was very angry in general that week. I guess my relatives knew that and figured I might get carded” but I in no way got carded intentionally as part of an organized conspiracy.