Looking to Move out

I feel like buying in bigger cities has become impossible anyway. I’m looking for housing in Amsterdam or The Hague, but even here it’s become practically undoable.

1 Like

I work in the Co op supermarket, nothing exciting really

2 Likes

Seeing as you’re about on the site @LukeTheGooner , have your plans to move out evolved since you last posted in here? :slight_smile:

still in exactly the same situation as I was when I posted that, have to admit that I still want to do it but it’s been pushed further back in my mind

Don’t rush it. Do it when you feel and of course are able to do it.

1 Like

So just came across this topic and made me feel a lot better this morning. I always have in the last couple years, and still very much do find it quite embarrassing to tell people I still live with the parents at 29 yo later this year. My girlfriend is exactly the same, she’s with hers (we don’t live together).

Most of my mates live alone (via rent) but very re-assuring to see others here amongst my age group doing the same.

Quite sad but my folks have recently flirted with the idea of downsizing so they can set aside some cash for me to help me move on. I’ve been living rent free on a stable income now for nearly 7 years now so have been able to rack up a pretty substantial savings on a decent income. I know for a fact I’m not the only one struggling basis that (and I’m under no pressure from the family to move on, if anything the longer I’m at home the better for them as they get older weirdly).

5 Likes

My situation is weird.
I pay for the new accommodation for me & my parents, so I don’t know whether It’s considered moving out or not.

1 Like

I wouldn’t feel that embarrassed, I think the stat I read was 1 in 3 men aged 30 are now still living at home, or something around that proportion. It’s increasingly normal.A higher number than you’d think anyway. Women a fair bit less. I have a male cousin who’s nearing 40 and still lives with his parents :eyes:

My then-boyfriend moved back in with his parents several times in his late 20s/ early 30s inbetween completing uni, taking on a masters, changing career and leaving different jobs

8 Likes

Fuck I’m pretty fortunate that I was able to move out at 25 and buy my own apartment. ( well the bank owned majority but still ).

But yeah I still have a fair portion of mates that are around that 30 age and still living at home, so 1 in 3 seems about bang on.

1 Like

Quick question for fellow Gooners as I’m unable to find a consistent answer amongst friends, family or looking online.

Say you’ve had an offer accepted on a property and last minute the estate agent phones you and magically claims an offer higher than yours has been made on the house which the vendor has accepted - is this feasibly legal? Struggling to grasp if this is a genuine coax to squeeze more pennies out of me or if I’m being genuinely outbid.

Got anything signed?

Nope, absolutely nothing. Only had an offer accepted a week and a half ago verbally over the phone when the estate agent informed me

Ok, well I’m not an expert and I live in a different country to you but generally this is the defining factor in these type of things.

Here’s what I’d do. Email the estate agent and seek in writing the current situation. Say when you spoke on x date you were advised an offer had been accepted but their latest call has left things unclear. Is that accepted offer now rejected etc and do you have to match to stay in the bidding. If they are fucking with you they’ll probably be reluctant to put all that in writing.

Alternatively if you’re willing to up your offer that is probably the easiest thing to do…

2 Likes

Is this gazumping?

Genuinely not sure what the best course of action is here.

Hope it works out for you, mate

1 Like

Out of interest, why has there been a week and a half between you having your offer accepted and now without a contract being signed?

When we were house hunting we put in an offer, had it accepted and then signed within 2 days

2 Likes

Thanks mate. Much appreciated!

I’m certainly not gonna stick my offer up as I have already been sweating my finances after getting this sorted and sticking my outgoings vs income on a sheet basis all this going through.

Great idea on the suggestion of sticking it all in writing but still feel like all is in my court because I haven’t lost any cash on solicitor/conveyance fees yet and I’m not emotionally attached to the property.

@Cristo - Good question and I don’t really know. We been a bit slow getting details pushed over as we’d been away ourselves once the offer was accepted. Not sure if that’s any reason though

Even better if you’re prepared to walk away. Probably wasn’t the gaff for you anyway in that case. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you’re buying under English law you’re unfortunately fucked on this if they go to the other buyer. Morally it’s completely wrong by them but legally nothing you can do until you’ve exchanged contracts. It’s a completely rotten thing of them to do.

Had sellers pull out on me twice in my life on the day of exchange- both with cold feet about selling. Lost money on legal and survey costs and told to go sing for it both times. The English system is shit that way. Think it’s better in Scotland where the law is better designed on property purchase.

I’m so sorry to see you’ve been messed around and hope you didn’t lose too much on transaction costs.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply pal. Fortunately in my scenario I haven’t lost a penny as it’s all happened pretty swift in the process before the real work had been undergone. Of course, still frustrated at having to start a new search after a good couple months of looking.

Sorry to hear about your situations too, not a fun way to have lost your money at all (not that there is a good way)! Might very well consider a homebuyers’ protection insurance the next time I get to this stage!

If you only have a verbal agreement in Australia it means jack shit, not sure if it’s fhe same in England.

1 Like