Liverpool

I’ll still take cup wins vs nothing.

Was this your position pre-2014?

1 Like

Klopp has done nothing more with Liverpool than Keegan did with Newcastle in '96

1 Like

A season like 07/08 was much more exciting/interesting to follow than any season Arsenal won the cup in in the Emirates era in my opinion.

5 Likes

True.

More so because you’re defined by your league season. We did exceptionally well that season. Indeed, it’s the only season during the Emirates era that we’ve gone unbeaten at home.

13/14 was nice to be capped off with a cup after a real hard slog, but 07/08 betters it for me

I think reaching 2 european finals tops Keegan throwing a 12 point lead away tbh.

1 Like

Keegan speaks better German

Agreed. Also far more disappointing in the end. :disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

True.

Some of the draws we got in the cups as well. Liverpool in the CL, United in the FA Cup (in a year that the cup was won by Portsmouth) and Spurs in the League Cup semi finals.

To finish 4 points off the League was rough, but winning one of those cups would have been nice that season

Did Keegan make a Champions League Final with Newcastle In the mid 90s did he ?

I’d rather have legit hope of winning the league and CL tbh, but yeah if it’s cups or scraping 4th I’d take the cups without a doubt.

Not disagreeing with anything here, but it is worth remembering Pool absolutely hit lottery on several buys and sales… it helps a ton.

2 Likes

To do that sort of stuff well is also a quality and it says a lot about how well that club is ran nowadays. Because they didn’t exactly came good out of the Suarez sale.

3 Likes

Yes of course. Arsene Had won 11 trophies up to 2014.

With a massive 9 year gap between them :wink:

But he had shown a proclivity to actually do so. Klopp…not so much. In fact Klopp chokes more oft than not when there’s high stakes.

Well, I think the word “choke” is a bit too much to describe Klopp.

There are many reasons why you cannot win in the finals… players’ form, injury, matchup, luck… a lot of things…
In the end, it was the players to play the actual game, and we can’t put the glory and blame “solely” on the manager.

For the 2 CL finals that Klopp had, he lost to the superior teams (Bayern and Real) and not because he made some managerial mistakes/errors.

3 Likes

Yeah I tend to agree with this narrative… plenty of great managers and coaches across many sports get this label unfairly - in the big games, you tend to play great teams - so your odds of winning are far lower in general… I would need to study the “big” games under Klopp, but one could argue that over 38 games, plenty of “crap” games are what are decisive in the end… and for cups, well it is one game here or there that can either make or break you and it is hard to judge a manager on that unless they have a reasonable sample size and take into consideration quality of opposition.

2 Likes

But we were in a nine year drought, and I know for a fact you weren’t describing consistently finishing in the top four as “nothing”, and I don’t think you’d have been lauding a manager who won a few FA Cups but took his side from being consistently top four to no longer being a top four team.

I don’t think you’re able of being consistent or fair when it comes to assessing Wenger or comparing him to other managers.

3 Likes

This is simply all wrong. Firstly they got huge money for Coutinho, we got comparatively next to nothing for RVP.

Gervinho and Chamakh (a freebie) didn’t replace RVP. Cazorla, Giroud and Podolski did and with the little money we got from RVP that was a very good transfer window truth be told.

4 Likes