Liverpool

Maybe I was young… But for me Lehmann only truly settled during 2005/06 and his best two seasons here were 2005/06 and 2006/07 and I considered him WC at that time but not before definitely.

2005/06 was definitely his peak season, managed to displace Kahn as the number one in the national team and that was literally considered blasphemy at that time and he had to be basically perfect to do that.

1 Like

This.

His best performance in an Arsenal jersey was away at Anfield in 2005/06.

1 Like

No Liverpool players get in the invincibles team because they aren’t fucking invincible.

The end

5 Likes

That wast that game where Fowler scored, I vaguely remember… We lost in the end?

No. Luis Garcia. 86th minute.

Lehmann saved a pen and made a whole host of saves. Actually got MOTM in spite of being on the losing side.

Funny how a number of people have said Seaman’s best game for Arsenal was at Anfield too

2 Likes

You are bang on my friend, Reyes scored on the stroke of HT then Lampard restored parity in the 51st.

FUCK THAT GAME.

4 Likes

Cole made an great goal line clearance (not as good as the one he made at Anfield in December 2001) and that should have been a wake up call for us. Get through to extra time. The commentator even said “Arsenal are like a boxer on the ropes now, waiting for the bell”

Almost criminal to concede to Wayne Bridge after that point, only moments later.

1 Like

Yep. Makelele’s disctance effort Lehmann spilled and Lamps got the rebound.

Ffs that was probably one of the three shots Makelele took in his whole Chelsea career. Was so mad about that goal.

1 Like

You’re right. FFS, I’d erased that from memory. I recall it vividly now :roll_eyes:

The circumstances of how I found out the result of that much made it all the more tough.

I didn’t get pay tv until I was 18 and could afford to pay for it so this game was when I was still 17 and at school. It was delayed 2 hours on free to air SBS and as the match was starting they flashed up the match stats for a brief second and it had Arsenal 1-2 Chelsea. I thought to myself WTF is that, I couldn’t be stats from a previous game as Chelsea haven’t beaten us in my time following it since 1998. I went on the computer and the shocking news was confirmed, never ever have I watched that game in full.

6 Likes

I liked that post, but only for your catharsis

1 Like

Remember every moment sadly… Had some money on Arsenal’s victory on that night…
Just like for the first leg :xhaka:

Ffs beating them both times in league that year in the FA cup too, and when in mattered the most…

2 Likes

What was up with Henry, the prick

Going off with a bad back. Barely played against United the Saturday before in the Cup.

(Obviously I use prick in the most affectionate way possible)

Idk, but yeah, had a really really weak game that night… Basically did nothing.
And then threw out his frustration on Liverpool on the following weekend. Had no back problems there for sure. :vinai:

We should stop talking about this game, seriously.

1 Like

Let’s talk about that game. This is the thread for it, after all.

That was a very Good Friday :blush:

Bittersweet is the only description of the game for me.

1 Like

The 4-2 victory vs Liverpool is my favourite match of the 03/04 league campaign. The 2-1 win at Anfield is probably top 5 as well. Scouse mugs.

4 Likes

I was only 11 and just getting into arsenal back in 03/04 the only two games I can remember watching was the FA Cup game vs United and the Wayne Bridge CL game :disappointed:

I can still remember the advert itv had for it when they were advertising the game haha

Growing up I had two good friends who were massive Chelsea fans, safe to say that defeat in 2004 was absolutely horrendous and perhaps the worse one of that era. I haven’t seen the goals / highlights since and never intend to

5 Likes

Back on track in Europe tonight @Electrifying @Stroller

2 Likes