Liverpool Vs Arsenal (PL)

I get you but I think the waves are gonna come regardless bro lol.

Wouldn’t want to see that set up often but playing that kind of formation can be forgiven when going to the likes of Anfield at least for a spell in the game.

1 Like

Asap

1 Like

----------Leno----------
AMN-Papa-Luis-Monreal
--------Torreira---------
----Willock–Ceballos—
Pepe----Auba----Nelson

I think if you just try to weather the storm against Liverpool you’ll end up getting smashed. Put out a midfield that can match their intensity and two wingers that can both help beat the press with a dribble and be threats to get behind their fullbacks if and when they push up.

3 Likes

Really like this lineup. As unlikely as it is.

Alternatively

Wouldn’t be adverse to this at home but this is Anfield after all and we were ropey against Burnley.

Can see your logic though.

1 Like

Monreal, Willock, and Nelson away at Anfield isn’t a good idea imo, asking for a battering there.

1 Like

The last time Liverpool lost at Anfield was in April 2017. I wonder what the longest unbeaten home streak in the EPL is ?! :interrobang:

Seeing us attempt to play it out at the back against Burnley is already giving me stomach pains thinking about us trying it against Mane, Firmino and Salah.

Really, really hope we don’t try and cutely play out from the back. I really think we’re only going to find success using a possession based approach higher up the field. And based on more recent performances I fancy us so much more on the TAA flank than I do with Robertson. Ideally we really need Ceballos and Nelson(?) to double up on him there and keep him where he’s vulnerable and not dangerous. I.e. Down their flank zipping balls into the box along our back line.

Very glad to be getting this fixture out of the way early

1 Like

Considering we’ve spent over a decade going away to places such as anfield and getting absolutely humiliated in brutal fashion I’m not sure why so many people are keen to pack the team full kids.

2 Likes

Hmm, I dunno. I’d much rather always play Liverpool once we’ve built up a head of steam ourselves.

Take the game at the Emirates last year. We’d just come off the back of winning 8 on the bounce. We played a great game in a 1-1 draw and arguably did enough to win the game.

This fixture, this early, could end in a morale-damaging big defeat.

Having said all that…we’ll smash em.

Chelsea were unbeaten for about 4 years at home were they not?

Ironically Liverpool beat them in 2008 to end the record

2 Likes

Very much so. Well remembered. Quite a feat to go unbeaten at home in 4 consecutive seasons. Can’t imagine any team doing that in the current era. And since Liverpool are half-way there, why not end it. :henry2:

1 Like

Packing the team full of veterans hasn’t stopped us getting humiliated.

A big part of the disaster last year at Anfield was that we weren’t athletic enough overall and we weren’t threatening enough on the wings to actually give them something to worry about.

We’ll probably lose either way but I’d rather go down swinging with a high energy athletic young team that might be a little naive in moments but can pose a more dynamic threat than with a ponderous team full of veteran players like Xhaka, Kola, and Mkhi that might be less likely to make a mental mistake but have no chance of matching their energy and will be very predictable for them to play against.

5 Likes

Yeah I get you mate.

I think it’s just me and my cynical view. Over the years we have had some horrendous results there and thay just contributes to my dawn when approaching this fixture. I get no sense of excitement or thrill that we could knick something, just a feeling of hoping it won’t be as bad as I think it’ll be.

In principal though it really means nothing as we have to play them sooner or later at some point.

1 Like

Love the idea of playing the kids and all that but considering neither Willock nor Nelson were particularly good vs Burnley at home with a plethora of missed passes and lost possession I wouldn’t play them vs Liverpool away. It’d be a chance taking that could pay off but I’d rather go with more experience.

1 Like

I thought Willock was fine against Burnley personally. Looked assured to me.

7 Likes

Willock Ceballos and Guendouzi should be our midfield three more often than not for me.

Torreira can come in for one of them when we need to rotate

Torreira should be ahead of both Guendouzi and Willock in the pecking order.

The midfield pecking order should really be:

Ceballos
Torreira
Guendouzi
Xhaka
Willock
Elneny

3 Likes

Fixed

4 Likes

There’s six feet of concrete then Elneny bro.

Might even bump Willock above Xhaka tbh.

2 Likes