Lisandro Martinez

Can someone please post a link regarding who Arsenal want more? Been restlessly thinking about it all day.

3 Likes

3 Likes

This deal is dead unfortunately.

Interested to see who our backup target is.

What makes you say that?

80m? Too expensive.

Yeah that would be too much, but weā€™ll see I guess. Donā€™t think anybody is going to pay that (which may be the point :slight_smile:).

80m for Antony, 50m for Timber and Martinez.

50m Euros for Martinez straight fee would be crazy IMO. Hopefully we can seduce Ajax with something like 38m+10m bonusses, but I doubt theyā€™ll do it.

Didnā€™t we bid Ā£30m for him already? I think weā€™re keen on getting him if thatā€™s the case. Can see us going up to Ā£40m for him.

We paid Ā£50m for White, if we want Martinez weā€™ll pay Ā£40m

1 Like

Arteta canā€™t go another window without another CB, can he?

Doesnā€™t Saliba countā€¦ thatā€™s if he comes back :thinking:

3 Likes

Yup Saliba, if motivated, is an excellent addition to the squad and like a new signing

If we land Lisandro, what is he coming as?

• Starting CB
  • Cover CB
  • Starting LB
  • Cover LB
  • Starting DM
  • Cover DM

0 voters

He might not start right away but eventually he takes Tierneyā€™s job IMO.

1 Like

Everything ive read about him has him down as a CB. Yet the majority on here, think hes coming in as cover for LB?

Anyone watched a lot of Ajax? Where does he play mostly?

1 Like

Two defensive minded FBs on either flank? No thanks, just not good enough for efficiency in the final third. Allows the opposition backline to keep its shape.

Whole point of having inverted forwards is to allow that vacated outside space to be attacked when they go inside

4 Likes

I hear what youā€™re saying but Iā€™m not sure that ā€œdefensive minded FBsā€ really captures Tomiyasu or, perhaps, this guy Martinez. Both are really good passers, Tomi is also very two footed. Overlapping and banging in crosses isnā€™t their game but I donā€™t think that is Artetaā€™s vision. None of Pepā€™s FBs are big overlappers either, except for Walker on occasion. The wingers donā€™t really vacate the outside like Liverpoolā€™s forwards, they tend to stay very wide until a move is on. The FBs, in turn, arenā€™t just looking to charge down the line but theyā€™re playing further back and looking to play combinations with the winger and 8 midfielder. On occasion that might mean overlapping if the winger does move inwards but it also could mean drifting inside or just pinging the ball around probing for openings.

3 Likes

Heā€™s mainly a CB but heā€™s versatile enough where he can play a bit further forward.
I think the rationale behind people saying heā€™ll play LB is that we donā€™t think the club is gonna pay top bill so heā€™ll come in as just cover. Itā€™s also World Cup season, for him to be keen to come here means he had assurances of game time.
He probably doesnā€™t start ahead of Gabriel, he doesnā€™t start ahead of Partey, but he probably does start ahead of Tierney.

Our fullback roles last season were very conservative, bit of an opposite compared to previous ones where our fullbacks used to bombard forward and spammed crosses into the box. Probably one of the reasons Tierney struggled a bit as that was his bread and butter.

1 Like