Virgil van Dijk’s game by numbers vs. Man United

84% pass accuracy
98 touches
12 final third passes
9 long Balls
9 ball Recoveries
2 clearances
1 block

Martinez was okay but he wasn’t up against a direct opponent for much of the game. Firmino kept on dropping deep and emptied the centre of the pitch.

Lisandro would have played at LB but I’d argue off last nights performance I saw better quality on the ball and positionally than I do with Gabriel. It it’s nearly impossible to judge off one good performance but he oozes quality. Very early days but I have a feeling he’s going to be a very big hit here.

I like Gabriel for his physical strengths and because I think his style works well in England but I reckon Lisandro Martinez COULD have been a shout for LCB at Arsenal. But obviously Mikel had him pegged as a LB and I wouldn’t argue with his reasoning at all. He’d probably excel there more.

All in all I’m actually happy with our current back 4 and wouldn’t change anything in it.

2 Likes

I gave the example of playing against the best strikers in the world when he played for Ajax in the CL in multiple seasons.

When you’re short, you are generally quicker and more agile. With good positioning and reading of the game you don’t have to go head to head for a header with some Frankenstein of 7ft

1 Like

I like Gabriel for his goal threat. 6 goals was the highest amount in the league last season

Can’t really draw much conclusions about this guy when he’s been a bit sh*te the first couple games and then looked a bit okay against a lackluster Liverpool side. My personal opinion still stands that this guy is not cut for this league, but I’ll give him a few more games time to prove me right/wrong on this one.

1 Like

What makes you think he’s not cut out for the league?

Apologies to throw a question at a question, but what makes you think he is?

He’s going to get pressed so much more in this league than he’s used to and will be exposed to extreme phyciality from the likes of Antonio, Haaland and Nunez. The likes of Toney, Wilson and DCL also have physical presence.

He’ll need an adaptation period.

4 Likes

Yeah, to deny that this league ain’t one of the most physically demanding is bullsh*tting yourself. I’m aware height alone doesn’t determine the true calibre of a defender in this league, as Mascherano has shown. But it must also be noted that he wasn’t the norm but was an exception to the rule. Martinez could very well be the exception to this “rule”, but till then, he’s going to under scrutiny. May be not from us at OA, but I guess everyone else everywhere will be looking at it that way.

2 Likes

To have a role like a sweeper (bigger/taller guy go for the header) and his teammates playing team defense, he will do fine.
He is quick and agile enough to cover the fullback outwide and loose ball in the middle.
When the ball is on the ground, height doesn’t matter anymore.

1 Like

Positionally strong, great with the ball and very much aware of his limitations.

If he is protected well enough with a good partner and a strong defensive midfielder (Casemiro) he can thrive. He has the right tools but it’ll be dependent on how he is deployed and protected.

Like any non elite defender the system and your team mates is what determines your success. I’m not sure you’d find too many better defensive shielding midfielders than Casemiro.

If he’s playing around shit players who can’t progress the ball well or find right positions to receive them then his ball playing will be redundant and if he has to spend all season trying to work out what Maguire is doing then he’ll fail.

But his raw ability is very strong and I like him. He seems classy and elegant.

3 Likes

This all from one game?

Who’ve they got next? Let’s see how he fares. Maybe binning Maguire was the trick.

3 Likes

Been saying it for ages. They payed crazy money for Maguire and even made him captain. For three seasons they’ve searched for his perfect partner at the back and they haven’t found him. Seems pretty clear to me that Maguire is the problem.

2 Likes

should be the captain from the bench, cheerleader

1 Like

Way too early to conclude anything on him. His height is a definite disadvantage and that’ll be a problem now and then but it appears he’s got enough about him for that to not matter so much. Let’s see where he is after 10 - 12 games.

Heck, I’ll say the same about Saliba. Am super impressed so far but sterner tests lie ahead.

5 Likes

Has done alright so far against Adams. Was caught out a couple of times, beaten in the air once but has not been bullied by Adams. But the Saints have been rather poor in the final third.

Back to back man of the match games from him now. Not bad lol

1 Like

The key here being the absence of the Fridge.

4 Likes

Quality player @SRCJJ

I watched him play. I think he did OK. Southampton on another day would have won that game and we’re for most parts the team controlling the game. Was pulled out of position quite abit aswel. Dalot/varane would have been motm contenders for me. Dalot with an assist and goal line clearance. Looks a good defender. But definitely one that can be got at.