Lisandro Martinez

He’s good, also a bit of a cunt I think but that’s okay if he plays for us.

Could Gabriel be out? Or are we going to have four CBs that are good enough to start?

2 Likes

LCB was on the menu already, apparently we were interested in Schlotterbeck in January but he wanted to stay in Germany. I think this move is to essentially cover LCB and LB if Tavares goes.

I’ll tell you right now Gab may start the season as starter but he’ll end it firmly as second choice.

Arteta wants a genuine technician at LCB to match White ball playing abilities

Personally I blame you. :grin:

3 Likes

I haven’t seen him play much at all, but it would be nice having 4 CB that you’re comfortable with whoever is playing.

3 Likes

I will say I LOVE the injection of competition for starting spots across the most of the pitch

4 Likes

This is kind of interesting. Data is from a couple seasons ago when Martinez was primarily a DM with Ajax. Two closest players to his statistical profile that season: Thiago and Fernandinho.

He hasn’t technically played very much as a LB but if you want a guy who can defend as a LB when we are deep in our half but then when in possession step up and be a quasi-midfielder supporting behind our LW and left 8…his skill set might be pretty intriguing.

2 Likes

The more that I think about it, this would be such a good signing. I like the idea of Zinchenko for his versatility, but Martinez is a superior defender and could do a solid job as a defensive midfielder. He is probably on the same level or even better than Gabby, Tierney and Xhaka and would be a smarter signing than say Hickie.

A signing like this allows to play a back 3. We can sell some of Mari, Holding, Tavares, AMN, Xhaka and get the money back.

Martinez or Zinchenko represent the perfect utility signing that would start a lot of games.

The biggest meme in football has to be centre backs who can pass therefore being touted as midfielders.

Every time we sign one we start saying they could be a DM (Luiz, Vermealen, Chambers, White).

You can have midfielders play a high level at CB (Fabinho, Mascherano etc) but are there any CBs who actually do well in midfield?

The interest in both Zinchenko and Martinez gives us a glimpse into the profile Mikel is targeting for the LB/CM position.

I think if we get Tielemans, this truly bumps Xhaka down in the team.

1 Like

We’re ok with the CBs there, but who are our wing backs in that formation? Tierney who’s out all the time? Pulling Saka back? Not a fan of that… Tomiyasu is closer to a CB in that formation than to a WB…
Not a fan of that formation with our current squad, not at all.

1 Like

Nah not really. Cracks me up when twitter brigade start saying stuff like this just because they did it on Fifa once :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Barely even works in Fifa

2 Likes

CBs who are good on ball being good enough to play as midfielders and fullbacks/wingbacks who can go forward being being good enough to play as wingers is something that people love to peddle, even though it rarely works.

2 Likes

For us, Gilberto was decent in both positions but you’re right, there aren’t many.

Good point. You’re right to be honest. AMN is a decent option at full back, but he’s going to be sold. Tavares’ middle name is liability, like you said Tierney is a sicknote and Soares is average at best.

I suppose Saka could be an option at wingback but it would be odd moving our most productive forward to a defensive role.

1 Like

not bad…not bad at all :xhaka2:

3 Likes

Damn that’s pretty silky

1 Like

The best thing about this rumour, if it’s true, is that it shows Edu and Arteta are thinking along the same lines as all of us, which is, Tierney cannot be relied on, neither can Tavares. That is so refreshing.

8 Likes

I guess it only took our season derailing twice due to Tierney’s injury issues for them to do something.