Lisandro Martinez

One of my Ajax mates just texted me:

“FUCK OFFFFFFFFF”

19 Likes

I think he only really makes sense if we really believe in his ability to play LB, not just as cover but also challenging Tierney.

If the vision is that in possession we play sort of a 3-2-3-2 in which the 8 midfielders are little creators like Ode/Tielemns/Vieira who play between the lines and the FBs become sort of like deep midfielders in line with Partey who can play the ball around but also aggressively counter-press to disrupt transitions, then a guy with this profile makes sense to me as a LB option in the same way that Zinchenko makes sense.

If he is just really an option at LCB, I don’t understand spending the money on that position and it also seems like a weird profile because he seems really short, to the extent that you’d really worry about a pairing with Ben White.

2 Likes

I think this is the case tbh especially when you look at his record, he’s firmly a CB who can fill in at LB if needed rather than the other way round. Oddly similar to Ake in a sense

I think Nuno should be retained as backup LB

1 Like

Do you think he is good enough to displace Gabriel at LCB? Assuming that Tierney is fit for LB position.

Yes, maybe not straight away but after adaptin sure. He’s much less physical than Gabriel, but more intelligent and technically gifted.

Not sure he’s signed to displace Gabriel though.

2 Likes

So if we get this guy and Saliba also comes back and signs a new deal, our defence will be strongest in as long as I have been following us.

Wow this came out of the blue.

Martinez
Vieira
Raphina
Tielemans
Jesus

That would be the most insane haul we’ve probably ever seen by some distance lol. Can’t see them all coming off but wow if it did.

9 Likes

well it seems like the days of crappy half baked signings are mostly over now

1 Like

Tierney-Martinez-Gabriel as left sided options for two positions and Saliba-White-Tomiyasu as right sided options for two positions might be the vision.

6 Likes

Actually two (angry) Ajax mates now saying they wouldn’t sell him for under €60m. They see Lisandro as their best asset along with Antony.

4 Likes

Makes perfect sense really. I can see White deputising at RB this year whenever Tomi is out and Saliba sitting at CB

3 Likes

Martinez
Raphina
Jesus
Marquinhos
Gabriel
Martinelli

It’s very very clear that we are really hitting the South American players now which is what we needed from Edu

12 Likes

Dam @Bl1nk has got me excited about this one lol.

Nice to see us appearing to make some geuine moves in the market now, looks promising.

6 Likes

He’s really good. Love the idea of this. Sell Holding and Tavares and bring in this legend.

2 Likes

Dont want him at CB. Guy is a fekin midget. Do we need to spend so much on a back up LB ? nah man, imma have to pass.

1 Like

Good point, if he’s spoken to Mikel maybe he’s been given assurances regarding a starting spot. Maybe he starts as our main LB.

How come we didn’t have a thread for him already.

Madness of a window from us.
I know we have a lot Spurs fans in here so I apologize in advance for the inconvenience Arsenal is causing you.

10 Likes

We also have the possibility of playing 3 at the back at times which would work for Saliba, Gabby, White, Tomiyasu, Tierney or Martinez.

Yeah, can see him emulating what Tomiyasu does on the left.