Lee Dixon

8 Likes

Was really reliable as a penalty taker when he first arrived.

1 Like

When did you stop liking his performance quality?

2 Likes

I don’t care what anyone says, I’ve never seen a better finish than this:

2 Likes

Ha ha yeah. It was a big thing when he started taking them.
We had a few issues with penalties.
Noticeably Marin Hayes miss against Luton at Wembley to go 3 1 up against Luton.
He was the first real reliable taker I remember

2 Likes

Ha! Beat you to it :joy:

2 Likes

FFS hahahaja

3 Likes

My memories of Lee Dixon is us scoring whilst he was always warming up in 2002.

3 Likes

In the FA cup final he had such a perfect view of the shot and knew it was going in that he was off celebrating before it had even hit the back of the net :grin:

3 Likes

I was at Highbury when he made his debut against Luton.
I remember he did a run, the length of the pitch, beating a few players and then shot over the bar and, although he got an ironic cheer from the North Bank, he proved he had the confidence to try it and went on to become an Arsenal great.

It was also the same season we bought Winterburn and Bould, all for about 1m.
He took over from Anderson, who was also a top player and went on to become our most successful RB in possibly the best defensive unit in the league.

4 Likes

For some reason I used to have it in my head that this was the one game we lost in 90/91 but it wasn’t and I’ve actually no idea where that came from.

This was the season after. The loss in the 91 title winning season was at Chelsea.

Yep, it’s all clear now but was a mixed memory in my head for years.

I always get this mixed up with our opening day loss to Norwich at home for some reason.:man_shrugging:

1 Like

I remember that.
I think it was when we lost 3-0 and we went on to win the league and only let in eighteen goals all season, which was a record until Chelsea broke it with Mourinho.

1 Like

Yeah Chelsea took it down to 15 on a 38 game season.
Remember Liverpool conceding 16 on a 42 game season under Paisley.

2 Likes

Didn’t we only concede 17 on 98/99?

I think you’re right, I forgot about that.
It was the same defence as well, although Keown played more games than Bould.
That was a great team with a solid defence.
We also had and Vieira and Petit with Anelka, Bergkamp, Overmars and Ljungberg playing upfront.

2 Likes
5 Likes