Lee Dixon

Fair play too you since you been part of the forum. Have opened up more threads on former players.

2 Likes

I only know him as a pundit but he’s one of the best imo. He’s also great on the handbrake off podcast

1 Like

5 league titles, no? :thinking:

Wait no it’s 4

Didn’t get 2004 mate.

1 Like

:eyes::grimacing:

1 Like

Very interesting insight into how George Graham saw defending, and how he coached that famous back line in the first ten minutes.

Quite long but interesting, compares Wengers and Grahams coaching styles as well.

2 Likes

Met Lee Dixon once after a game I went to with Arsenal hospitality.

Nice guy

4 Likes

My Mrs bought me an Arsenal Legends tour at the Emirates a few years back and Lee was leading the tour for the day. Really, really nice guy and super insightful. He still has that professional footballer ‘edge’ about him which is inspiring. For instance, if you were to throw him a kit and tell him to run up and down the flanks, he still would lol.

Very down to earth as well. I feel like these guys were the last bastions of what it was like to be regular joes/gifted footballers. Hard to explain but I feel like there’s a difference with footballers nowadays.

5 Likes

Yeah can tell he’s not only really smart but also very humble.

Was also interesting to hear how the drinking culture bought the players closer together, which was strange because the other day I was thinking about just that, and remember thinking despite all the negative press it must of had a positive in regards to comradery and player bonding. I was thinking of my self and how hanging out with people after work and with friends going for drinks brings you closer together and for some reason it clicking in my head that, a reason why a lot of the old school players are so close together has to be because of how much time they spent together, drinking, going on holidays, going out etc… and that directly translated on to the pitch. Where as today the players seem much more individualistic, they have their own entourages and rarely hang around with each other, mostly just like each other on social media. The exception being youth players who grew up together.

Was also very interesting hearing about how George Graham coached players, and set up
His defence. Dixon was talking about how Graham would insist on showing the wingers inside and becoming a compact block, then expanding when attacking. He also said that Graham would talk them through what they should be doing, and where they should be at every moment step by step in the same way you hear Conte or Guardiola does now, relentlessly drilling this into them during training and essentially how Graham basically moulded them into the most famous back line in the country.

Honestly makes you appreciate GG all the more.

2 Likes

We bought him from Stoke for around 300k and I saw his debut at Highbury, against Luton I think it was and it was obvious straight away he was a quality wing back who would bet forward at every opportunity.

So with him and Winterburn, who we got the previous season, we had two of the best attacking FB’s in the league who were also very disciplined defenders.
Good pundit as well.

4 Likes

So much better than RatBoy Neville.

Have you seen that footage of Dixon shaking his head at Alan Shearer for just repeating the same thing he’d said moments earlier :joy:

3 Likes

I also like the way he doesn’t bow down to Keane, when he goes on one of his rants.

2 Likes

Taking Anderton out at Wembley 93 semi. Red card as good as goal that was.
Took one for everyone associated with Arsenal that day.

3 Likes

Do you remember an Arsenal player doing the same against a young upstart Worst Ham player in the 1980 cup final?

Read about it but I don’t recall the specific details

2 Likes

Willie Young on Paul Allen. Professional foul as it was known.
Because of his age 17 more was made of it. It was the catalyst moment that was always used for making it a straight red few years later.

2 Likes

Fucking hell you lot got a good memory :joy::rofl:

2 Likes
6 Likes

Real club legend

5 Likes

My favourite ever Arsenal player.
Legend

2 Likes