Layvin Kurzawa

The main reason I’m entertaining this is because Tierney is injured and can’t be relied on for majority of the rest of the season, Kola has some injury issues though he main remain consistently fit once he returns. But then it’s just Saka, and frankly I don’t want to see him filling in at left back on a consistent basis.

AMN was once a midfielder, who was asked to fill in St right back, now he’s a pretty average back up right back, not a midfielder. I really do not want to see the same happen to Saka when he actually looks like quite a promising Wenger.

If brining in Kurzawa means we can get Kola’s big wages off the books this summer without spending money while making a saving on wages, while preventing Saka from stunting his development as a midfielder/winger, I can totally see the appeal.

But I haven’t seen him play before unless I’ve forgotten, so I cant speak to his quality, and worry about some of your opinions of him.

But leaving aside the question of his quality, as a potential move I can see more sense j this than many others seem to be able to. It’s not a baffling move.

People actually embracing Saka at LB. Pfffft.

Not really got a huge opinion either way, but I’m not too sure what the point of this would be.

Liverpool got Robertson from Hull, West Ham got Cresswell from Ipswich, Spurs got Rose from Leeds and Davies from Swansea.

To me that’s the kind of profile you want from a backup fullback.

I don’t think football finance is ever as black and white as sell this player for X and shift their big wage, bring in replacement for free and pay slightly lower wage.

I’d prefer us to look in our own leagues like these examples. You’ll get someone hungry from a lower team with less ego and more desire to prove his worth.

Signing the European powerhouse teams washouts is a recipe for disaster.

11 Likes

Ben Chilwell was possibly the answer to this, pre-Tierney

2 Likes

Lewis from Norwich.

3 Likes

Liked him a lot the times I’ve seen him, that would indeed be the play but tbh given our needs (I mean, we need at least 2, probably 3 fucking midfielders, a cb or two, and an attacker, at the very least), it makes sense to avoid paying for domestic talent and go for a cheap option as our backup LB. If we were to go for someone else it’d need to be a younger player, perhaps from the championship.

1 Like

@Craigie @Castiel @Robin_L nailed what I was trying to say earlier with much more clarity.

It makes so much more sense to pick up a good/great young LB from somewhere like the championship or lower level PL than going out and paying some washed up has been who is infamous for having a terrible attitude and a terrible injury record.

This transfer reeks of basic brand name recognition because of PSG and Kurzawa. “Oh PSG are a big successful club and I remember Kurzawa being a hot name 5 seasons ago - this must be a good transfer!”

It’s like Pato going to Chelsea or how Bendtner was able to go to Juventus.

Signing some talented young LB from a West Brom or Bristol that’s gone under the radar, and is happy to sit on the bench while he competes to get a start position is a much better idea than going for a guy like Kurzawa who will just throw a strop at not starting and then get injured for 3 months in his debut.

2 Likes

Well, we’re well versed in disasters lol

2 Likes

sounds like just what we did with Tierney. just so stupidly unlucky with injuries all the time lol I still want to know what the kid has to offer, people said good things about him, just frustrating the whole situation lol

Not saying I don’t agree with you, there are some talented youngsters in the Championship. But I just don’t think it’s that easy to pick one up, especially if they’re a known quantity.

Look at Jude Bellingham at Birmingham. They apparently want £30m for him. He is 16. SIXTEEN!!!

It’s hard for decent players to fly under the radar nowadays. We’d have to strike gold like Liverpool did, but we’re Arsenal, we’re just not that lucky.

1 Like

Yeah that’s fucking nuts, at 16 he could still turn out to be completely average by age 18.

Didn’t realise the fullback market had gotten that crazy.

How much do you envisage paying for this excellent, promising second choice left back? Because we have a limited budget and left back would pretty much be my last priority in terms of positions on the pitch where we want to be spending our probably limited transfer budget, alongside goalkeeper perhaps. Right back, centre back, central midfield, the wings, probably up front too as we’re scoring fuck all and our strikers don’t seem wholly committed to the club. All more important than signing a back up left back the fans can ge excited about.

Just doesn’t seem realistic to me to think we’ll pluck an excellent young left back out of nowhere to be back up to Tierney. Tierney is that excellent, young left back. I’m not as convinced as you that a young left back will be OK with playing a back up role to another young left back who has their whole future ahead of them, that sounds like a shit gig and a dead end.

2 Likes

Forza Juve

1 Like

Saka is a hero for helping us dodge this bullet :giroud2:

Still, massive upgrade for Juve. Never rated De Sciglio.

Also, is this Orny in the mud? @Stroller his credibility taking a beating since that move to the athletic :pires2:

1 Like

Ornstein outed

1 Like

What’s up with Juve and guys who are running their contracts out? They couldn’t even wait this time around and got their guy 6 months early.

Ornstein hasn’t been the same since he left the BBC :papa:

2 Likes

Nah, Kurzawa didn’t sign any deal and even if we came into some sort of pre-agreement it doesn’t mean much. An opportunity to sign for Juve rose and he bought in.

1 Like

He’s dead.

Fabrizio is the no.1 now. Crazy that he’s basically in his mid 20s and he has impeccable sources on every big club in the world.

And now Arsenic got a heavy argument for coming up behind Orny and overtaking him. Crazy.