Layvin Kurzawa

Kolasinac is injured
Tierney is injured
Saka isn’t a LB

:thinking::thinking::thinking:

Again, so let’s sign a LB in the most physical league in the game that is even more injury prone than they are?

Am I missing something here man?

4 Likes

Kola is back for sheffield

We’ll still be selling him anyway in the summer.

Selling him for 20M plus then Kurza on a free. No brainer for me haha

I wonder how many have actually seen Kurzawa in action apart from the odd Champions League game.

Honestly mate, barely know anything about him. My issue was more the choice of positioning we’ve gone on to replace. But perhaps we are here because the club feel an opportunity in this given his contract situation.

In fact, I only just realised he’s 27. For an unknown reason I had it in my mind he was a lot younger haha

He’s fine enough to be brought in as back up to Tierney.

He earns like €75k a week which is significantly less than Kola. His recent injury history isn’t actually bad. Since returning from a herniated disk in November 2018, he’s pretty much been fit it’s just Bernat keeping him out of the team.

Bringing in an experienced LB with a good attacking profile is a sensible move by the club. It’s evident our full back positions are an extreme source of concern and this provides us with some much needed relief and also give us room to get shot of Kola in the summer.

I looked up his injury record on transfermarkt and it isn’t that bad. He had a back injury that put him out for a good period, where 1 of his discs got put out of alignment but if that’s recovered I’m all for this. The main reason he hasn’t been playing is he isn’t first choice.

I won’t pretend I’ve watched much of his full matches and I know it’s only youtube but technically he looks very good technically and he looks to put in some really athletic challenges. I know that doesn’t let us know anything about how good he is positionally.

Traditionally we’ve done well from picking up cast offs from top clubs, see Henry, Alexis, Ozil, Vieira and to a lesser degree Bergkamp

The only downside is his ball winning stats have dropped in the past 2 seasons, so hopefully that isn’t a sign that he’s physically shot

At least one of our LBs will be layvin in the summer then

7 Likes

Is this guy even any good? Kurzawas thinking that we should probably try strengthen the midfield first.

7 Likes

Kurzwa in. Xhaka staying. Dogteta hiring coming to fruition. Basquedard.

I think Bellerin and Maitland-Niles are very decent right back options to give it a go with next season. Kolasinac is terrible defensively imo. Plus there was some shit how expensive he was.

After a midfielder, winger and centre back a back up left back (or striker if Auba/Laca leaves) was probably my next priority.

2 Likes

For me it depends on how much wage he is likely to be receiving, Arteta’s hands are probably tied as I get the feeling this January / summer the board / ownership will likely say you have to sell to generate funds.

If Kolasinac goes for a fee, and he is on less wage and a free transfer it’s not the worst thing.

2 Likes

he has some decent skill tho, not sure what he is like now but he definitely used to be a top player.

Hopefully the deal falls through

7 Likes

Pros: I realised he is only 27, I thought he was much older than that.

I used to rate him, and when I watched him I thought he was decent (like 2 PSG games in CL)

He’s definitely coming in as a Kola replacement and cover for Tierney.

Cons: everyone that has closely watched him says he has been dreadful. Worse than Kola dreadful. I’ll trust their opinion over mine which is outdated and based on nothing.

We may still have to get rid if he is shite.

CB and CM is more pressing than LB right now.

Not sure whether this is a pro or a con:

But: If we can get him on a free and low wages then it’s not the worst thing in the world.

I think it’s fairly obvious.

3 Likes

God, Saka at LB it is…

Is he at the Emirates today? Or is my mate trolling me?