Lautaro Martínez

He is a strong asset in the abstract but he plays poorly in the system and doesn’t bring the best out of our wide players.

It would be a strong signing and replacing Laca/upgrading on Laca and securing a younger first choice striker. Auba would still get plenty of opportunities and the competition could inspire him again.

Would be worried about Chelsea coming in for him, but maybe if we move quickly we could jump ahead while they are still looking to see if they can sign Haaland.

1 Like

It just feels to me you bet on Auba one more season and make this move next season, if we are selling anyone this summer it should be Lacazette. Bring in an actual midfield this summer, a CM and an AM, see if that helps Auba find the form we know he is capable of.

The midfield in my opinion should absolutely be the priority, especially over striker. Lautaro out left could perhaps be a very exciting prospect that could see Auba’s numbers increase but I dunno. I just have a hesitancy about this transfer right, even though it’s pretty clear he would improve us. Laca, Auba and Lautaro all at the club does little to fix our awful balance.

1 Like

For me this is a scenario where you throw your plans out the window and sign the guy if the opportunity presents itself. I remember when we passed up the opportunity to bring back Fabregas because of Ozil, Cazorla, a Ramsey coming off the 13/14 season and the idea of Wilshere being fit.

An all round forward with world class ability are probably the hardest players to get and there’s no guarantee the chance will be there in 12-18-24 months.

8 Likes

Yeh I can respect that, when you look at CMs and CAM’s people are playing games like pick two out of these eight. The market pool is deep. Maddison, Aouar et al will no doubt be there next summer. The same can not be said for strikers.

Watching his videos on YouTube he seems to actually link up really nicely with Lukaku so I don’t think him and Auba in the same team would be a bad thing. Auba’s actually a little better on the ball than Lukaku for me but that’s not saying much.

3 Likes

Oh I would absolutely spend 70m on him. Arteta is going to be out on his ear by Christmas and a real coach can come in and sort out the tactics. Think of that base to build from. Saka, ESR, Martinelli, Martinez, Gabriel, England’s Brave Ben White, ASL, plus Aaron “The Relegator” Ramsdale!

1 Like

Would people accept keeping Xhaka if it meant signing both Martinez and Maddison this summer?

4 Likes

I hate Xhaka and want him out of the club…but yes!

2 Likes

Definitely, although as long as he doesn’t even get on the bench, that would be great.

If we can get rid of Bellerin and Lacazette for 15m each, as well as around 250k a week wages between them, we will have a net spend of 40m for Martinez.

1 Like

Yeah no doubt, I mean Xhaka is shit but not to the level we all sometimes dump on him.

1 Like

Hahaha that’s such an unfair and cruel question

Absolutely. Who cares of he’s still around in the squad if we’re adding quality.

This isn’t even a condition in my mind, I’ve accepted Xhaka is staying as long as he wants. So gimme Martinez and Maddison.

1 Like

he kind of looks a bit like alexis, if he’s only half as talented then that’s a yes from me

he’s a bigger face version

This is basically it.

Elite or elite potential strikers need to be snapped up whenever the opportunity arises. There’s so few out there and even fewer that are available.

Auba hopefully bounces back but maybe one more quality season from him? Laca is gone either now or next summer.

We’ll need a top class striker in 12 months. We’ll be left with just Balogun and a declining Auba at that stage. Maybe Martinelli steps up but no guarantee.

5 Likes

Simple deal? Arsenal Football Club? Surely they are taking the piss…

:ozil:

2 Likes

If we weren’t about to spend 1 Ramsdale on a keeper who isn’t good enough to be our starter and hadn’t just spent 1.6 Ramsdales on Ben White it would be super simple.

But the club have hamstrung themselves by going huge on positions of questionable need and are stuck with Lacazette blocking a spot in the front line. I wonder if the club are also quietly shopping Aubameyang. Something tells me Arteta wouldn’t be broken up about getting rid of him.

2 Likes

Yeah, someone interviewed Fabrizio months ago and he said that while the club isn’t actively shopping him, they’re willing to sell him if the right offer came in.

If he moves he’ll have more attractive destinations than us, that’s why I’m not getting my hopes up.

Be great if we could sign him, be even better if we could throw in our average as fuck RB to take a little price off the deal.

1 Like