Kenny Sansom

It probably just comes down to Arsenal not being that successful in that era.
He was a better defender than Hansen and was extremely quick.
Being at Arsenal his football all round ability wasn’t encouraged. Hansen at Liverpool was in a much more forward thinking team.
Lot of pace for a CB our David as well.

3 Likes

He was about eighteen when he started getting regular first team football and he had a habit of sometimes trying to beat a player rather than passing which meant he’d sometimes lose possession.

This would lead to the crowd yelling “get rid of it,” every time he had the ball but he soon learned from those silly mistakes and became the best central defender and captain we’ve had.

I think most supporters could see, even from when he was a teenager, that he was a real leader.

I’ve seen him go for a header, with the ball about a foot off the ground, where two opposition players were going in with their boots and it’s this sort of attitude that made him such a great captain because he led by example.

3 Likes

Why I hate the term “modern CB” is because it totally disregards the countless number of defenders who were great with the ball at their feet but could also defend like a master too.

Feel like because English football featured a lot of “get rid of it” type defenders in the 80s and 90s that fans just disregard the classy players on the continent and also the great British talent who were very good with the ball at their feet.

It’s even worse a term because there are very defenders now I’d put in an “elite” category. VVD, Chiellini, Ramos, Koulibaly are probably only CBs in the last few years that are still active that I’d consider top quality defenders

2 Likes

Very much so. It did take on a better outlook when Des Walker and Ledley King type players came along.

2 Likes

What a defender. #you’ll never beat Des Walker#

His son plays now

2 Likes

I was just going to mention Walker.
He was a class CB, good on the ball and one of the fastest players in the league.
There were still plenty of the old fashioned hard CB’s like Butcher and Bruce but Hansen and Walker were also great defenders as well as being good footballers.

Although Adams had limitations, what made him such a great defender was his attitude.
He never gave up, he never shied away from a tackle, he led from the front and team mates saw this and followed his example.

This might sound old fashioned and implying that the players today are soft but it’s leaders like Adams that make the difference between a good side and a winning side.
Attitude with a strong winning mentality will get you a lot further than skill alone.

3 Likes

You know who I thought was the complete package? Good defender with the defensive traits plus good on the ball.

Jonathan Woodgate. Injuries ruined him (being racist didn’t help, either)

2 Likes

Or a Leeds player

2 Likes

David O’Leary also responsible for the greatest moment in Irish football history with his winning penalty kick against Romania at the 1990 World Cup :ireland::ireland::ireland:

3 Likes

Ray Houghton begs to differ from Euro 88

Even this…the peno save is what gets replayed over and over and over. O’Leary gets no respect. Are you familiar with reeling in the years @Jesseviolin ?

On 88…I really was too young to remember it properly but I’ve a better memory of his goal in 94 against Italy. Great stuff and the type of celebration that only a true mid 30s Irishman could produce.

Italia 90 is definitely the pinnacle though. World Cup Quarter finals. How many nations can even lay claim to it?

Nice one Kenny

9 Likes

I mean, going through the pictures he posted and he’s holding a glass of champagne in almost every picture

Could have been something like a shloer?

There’s plenty of non-alcoholic champagne and sparkling wine out there.

2 Likes

He was holding it for Ray Parlour. :grinning:

Let’s hope so

https://twitter.com/TheN5News/status/1706589591233323349?t=bQT0FwZOqMQEV-Bgb_wV4g&s=19

https://twitter.com/TheN5News/status/1738455903207096735?t=8g5Ut8WUSCDPhg0u1KlxuQ&s=19

1 Like