Kenny Sansom

This is promising.

I remember learning about the Wernicke’s region of the brain during A level Biology and knowing it’s something to do with speech.

Hope he’s on his way to recovery. That’s genuinely cheered me up a little, that message :blush:

2 Likes

I always find it sad when a professional footballer or indeed any professional sport persons career or retirement goes so badly and they end up in difficulty and in such dire circumstances.
Kenny is a sad example .
To be gifted at football , to be discovered, work hard , train hard and then to be signed by a professional club , then to represent your country on the greatest stage , be cheered at , abuse thrown at you but you can’t seek help and show personal strength to overcome everyday challenges.
Sadly everyday folk can slip into this yet fcan seem to be so strong .
I hope our magnificent club have and are standing by Kenny . A truly wonderful defender.

2 Likes
1 Like

I thought he retired from tweeting haha?

New year’s Eve

1 Like

Kenny Sansom was an awesome player, shame he was at Arsenal when we weren’t at our best and I think he is one of the game’s underrated players.
I would have loved to have seen him play in Italy and for me personally Kenny Sansom > Ashley Cole

1 Like

Ooooft. Huge call. I think @JohnnyH may agree with you on this. (He rates Stuart Pearce, too, who was very much underrated as a player)

However, as much as Cole is no longer welcome at Arsenal and he appears to hate Arsenal just as much, I feel he’s the best left back we’ve ever had. Other full backs like Neville and Alexander Arnold aren’t anywhere near as good

1 Like

Yeah Cole is by far the better player for me. Played prime Ronaldo out of big games for England as well.

1 Like

Oh yeah Cole has always had him in his pocket. I can only remember Ronaldo putting Cole on his arse at the game at Old Trafford in 03/04. It was so much so that Ronaldo had to switch wings at the game at Highbury in 04/05. Cole never gave him room to operate.

1 Like

I know it’s probably a moot point but Sansom playing in the same team as Cole Neville Arnold etc , I would still put him up there with the great fullbacks.
Unfortunately he played in poor Arsenal team.

1 Like

I wish we would of stuck with Clive Allen than been part of the ruse for Kenny.
Like Kenny a lot but we needed Allen more. Obviously it was all a set up because QPR and Palace rivalry wouldn’t allow a straight deal at the time.

4 Likes

Ah yes I remember this, that was a weird one, who did we have up front then Paul Mariner, Tony Woodcock?

1 Like

Stapleton who was good and Sunderland who was on the wain.
Under Neil set up a bit more pace up top was needed really.

1 Like

One of my early games at Highbury was Stapleton’s last game for Arsenal. Him being a footballing hero of mine at the time I was going to run on the pitch at the end of the game and ask for his shirt, unfortunately thousands of Aston Villa fans had the same idea having just clinched the first division title.
I remember Pele running around the pitch beforehand for some reason.

2 Likes

Should of just wrote a message on a piece of cardboard like they do now​:japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre:

2 Likes

When he joined we had a poor team but after that we got players like Lukic, O’Leary, Anderson, O’Leary in defence, with Talbot, Rix, Robson and possibly Davis in midfield and Woodcock and Mariner upfront, as well as Charlie Nicholas, who wasn’t quite as good as the hype suggested.

I used to go to Highbury quite a lot and I remember Adams in his first few games and although he used to make mistakes you could see he was a leader with a winning mentality and was one of the bravest players I’ve seen at any club.

We had a few top quality players but several of them were quite old so we lacked pace upfront and I’m not sure Neil and Howe were good enough managers to challenge for the League title.

4 Likes

Were fans patient with Adams when he made mistakes in his youth?

I find it so odd that O’Leary is our record appearance holder but you genuinely never hear his name mentioned much. It’s almost like he’s a forgotten Arsenal great

1 Like

Fuck I always thought it was Adams then O’Leary :open_mouth:

More so than they would be today. Took a heavy hit in the tabloids on an own goal at United.
Daily Mirror think it was super imposed donkey ears on him.
It was a lot too take for a young kid at the time. Think the criticism you would get now though from all angles would be as hard but in a different way.
You get hammered with data and analysis and the games 24/7 soap opera now.

O’Leary really is ridiculously overlooked. Probably only Alan Hansen in terms of ball playing who was better in that era.
Probably shades him as the better defender too. Both read the game very well.
Him and Adams would be my 2 Cbs on any all time eleven anyway.

7 Likes

I don’t get it with O’Leary. My pops genuinely put O’Leary up there as one of the better defenders in the first division during his peak but you never hear his name mentioned.

It’s bizarre bexause Hansen is still well regarded and it’s not like O’Leary fell off a cliff he had a pretty good managerial career so he stayed in the public eye. Probably better known now for being a manager than Arsenal record appearance holder.

2 Likes