Jorginho (20)

A ginger dinosaur :slight_smile:

He’s absolutely no a scrub. He’s not an elite defender but he’s had a very good career for himself. A proper mid table level defender who’s even managed to work his way into England squad.

Nowhere near at the level you’re putting him at.

3 Likes

Most people would make a judgement on his body of work than an individual game.
He has a history of those kind of results.

Good thing I’m not picking the Everton team then. I think he’s awful. Having a long career doesn’t mean it was a particularly impressive one and getting into the England squad doesn’t mean much when Southgate has made some interesting choices over the years.

He had an awful record against us with Burnley though iirc. There was, in my opinion, a real effort to make it sound like he did something unique or smart against use when we lost away and almost this weird idea that what he does is actually smarter than it looks. On a few different podcasts I listened to they pointed back to this masterclass video he did about a Burnley set up against Liverpool (maybe?).

So a player with over 200 PL appearances, some England caps, and a solid mid table career is suddenly a “scrub fuck”?

It’s just a ridiculous opinion. I don’t think Tarkowski and Coady are top players but they’ve proven themselves to be solid mid table players.

It’s just a really ignorant take. There’s no way either guy is a scrub fuck

5 Likes

Again I don’t know what you expect him to do with a squad like this.
I mean let’s at least acknowledge he’s had nothing to do with the squad recruitment.

Oh yeah, they’re awful and I don’t think they made a single signing in January. Again, I’m not saying he isn’t allowed to play ultra-defensive. He can play whatever style he wants. I just don’t think it’s very clever, I think it’s awful to watch and I think since he beat us there was a disproportionate amount of praise for his tactics.

@SRCJJ Okay, you think it’s an ignorant take, congrats. I think you’re conflating someone having a long career with someone being good. I don’t rate either of them particularly highly and the fact that they’re part of a team circling the drain isn’t exactly a great entry on their respective resumes.

Obviously it’s up to you how you would like the game to be played but I think you are kidding yourself if you think every team plays like angels, it’s not cheating at all more like stretching the boundaries of what’s possible.
Arsenal have been prime examples of shit housing over the years, my dad used to get exasperated when the Italian national team used to be criticised for niggly fouls and gamesmanship when the probably the greatest team of all time known for their beautiful free flowing football which was Brasil of 1970 were some of the biggest cheating cunts around.

Complain as much as you like but it’s not the 1930s anymore where players shook hands after a goal.

1 Like

I mentioned violent tackles by way of providing an analogy to illustrate the point I was making, which is that something being “part and parcel” of football for years doesn’t mean people aren’t allowed to complain about it.

Saying words to the effect of “but it’s always been that way so why are you complaining” just doesn’t work for me, in football or otherwise.

No I’m not. I’m letting you know they’ve had pretty long and stable PL careers and have consistently performed at a level that suggests they are not “scrub fucks”.

Nobody said they’re world beaters. They are just absolutely not low level players like you seem to be suggesting that they are.

Tarkowski in particular is someone who definitely could have operated at a higher level. Good passer, very calm and composed on the ball, nice range on his passing too and he also has good sense of positioning and tactical discipline.

1 Like

I’m sure he’s bringing all of that skill to Everton. Let’s check where they are in the table real quick.

You think they’re okay to good players, that’s fine, that’s your opinion. I disagree. Calling my take ignorant and pointing to some England appearances by a coach that carried like 6 right backs to the world cup isn’t going to make me change my mind. I don’t rate them, sorry.

How about Jorginho though?

Great cover for Partey

He’s been nothing short of fantastic. I’m a little concerned he’ll get some OTT criticism from last night but I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised that Jorginho playing the Jorginho Role looks pretty good.

I’m very curious to see him play in the EL.

Yer I wont be criticising him, didnt do to much wrong for me.
We struggled to break them down at the start of the game, in the end I think we wore them down by keep playing how we play.

I think in games like last night him and Odegaard cancel one another out.

Well you’ve just illustrated once again you are picking something up and running away in a completely different direction. You initially replied to my post in which I mentioned the points the Invincibles was making regarding time wasting and I replied this was part and parcel of the game and didn’t see it as cheating and at no point did I mention anything about violent play.
So if you were commenting on my point there was nothing there for you to illustrate your point unless you somehow picked something up about the part about football around the world and you’re coming up with the stereotypical view they play violent football, I don’t know how you translate what I said to fit your own view to what I said to defend another poster with the views he has on time-wasting which is part and parcel of the game, a bit like someone shouting at the clouds

Nah, I think Everton done a good job of wrapping up Odegaard and being on him everytime he got the ball, but they can only do that for so long.
When we are on our A game then others will pop up and create the chances and score the goals to unlock it.

1 Like

Bit of both for me. Odegaard flourished though when Partey replaced the Italian last night.

1 Like

I know you didn’t, I literally just said that I was the one who brought it up in order to make an analogy!

You said that time wasting tactics have been part of the game for years, with the implication being that this was a reason why he should not be complaining about it, or that his complaints therefore lack validity.

In order to illustrate my issue with this kind of argument, I said that violent conduct/bad tackling has been a part of the game for years, but that that doesn’t invalidate someone’s complaints about an opponent engaging in violent conduct.

Quoting myself here because it really is the point I’m making, but condensed into the shortest, most clear terms possible.

It’s not me engaging in some sort of nonsensical point about global football being stereotypically violent, that’s not even an opinion I hold lol, you’regetting completely the wrong end of the stick. Football culture varies wildly from place to place, making such a claim about the all football around the world would be ridiculous. As I said, I brought it into the discussion in order to create an analogy, that’s it.

1 Like

Thats true, but that could have been an effect of us wearing them down over the first half by keep going at them.

However it worked out, its nice that we actually have a squad of players who can come in and do a job when needed

2 Likes