John Monchi

I think you have to take in consideration that with a club like Roma you can’t win. Simply because of the limitations a club like that has in comparison with Juventus. Roma fans have been urging for the club to make that last step, but if the financial cloud to do so simply isn’t there what are you going to do?

They have to wait until their stadium is built (lol)

2020 I believe, right?

Does this guy have a first name? Im just gonna assume it’s John. John Monchi.

1 Like

his name is Gimme A. Monchi

I really hope his first name isn’t Dick or that might show hatred by his parents.

Full name is Igotda Monchi sssss.

1 Like

Monchi - full name Ramón Rodríguez Verdejo

Prefer John tbh. Don’t think we should get him now.

2 Likes

After having a thorough look through his history I’d be very happy with this appointment, hopefully some truth to it, but how hard would he be to get out of Roma ?

With him looking likely to join us, will Monchi be our biggest signing in the transfer window?

1 Like

Nice one @Bl1nk :laughing:

7 Likes

How does he have a cool surname and a boring name? :thinking:

:joy::joy::joy:

Ramón Rodríguez Verdejo is his name lol

Ohh lol just seen, dickheads tricking me :stuck_out_tongue: I was wondering as Monchi sounds real Mafia like and Johns just the average name

Monchi is his first name, last name is OnThis

2 Likes

I’m gonna translate some of his inteerviews.

Monchi has detailed the work methodology carried out by his work team, composed of 16 people who study dozens of leagues and thousands of players per season, classifying them by interest and potential is one of the keys to one of the most successful scouting methods of our football.

“He who has an ‘A’ is a player who has to go home to convince him; ‘B’ is a fairly interesting player; ‘C’ is a player who has to be followed and ‘D’ is a player who is not interested… There are a lot of reports from all of them and, if I see that there are a lot of ‘A’ and ‘B’, I stop to study it. If with the naked eye you can see that ‘C’ and ‘D’ are abundant, then I’ll rule it out”.

“From the ‘class A’ leagues we make a monthly eleven with interesting players and, from January, we see the players in a more concrete way. About April, more or less, and already with the help of the coach, the profile needed by the team is defined and we pull a list of names chosen among those who seek the best for that particular profile”.

“We are a team of 16 people who are assigned some leagues and we follow up with different filters. The work takes place throughout the year. We are seeing players facing the next market or later markets. We work a long time in advance. When we look for some features we pull the database looking for players according to the profile”.

-What’s the secret?

-The secret is the work. To travel, to watch football, to have a logical model of follow-up, not to remain with the first impression at the time of observing a player. I think everyone will do this, but we’ve done well and we’re continuing along this line.

-Does luck play a role?

-Luck has an influence. But our job is to shorten luck as much as possible. With Scouting’s work we leave as little as possible to improvisation. Then you can injure the player and crush everything.

"15 people work with me and we dedicate an integral care to each competition. The information gathered is shared: each month, the technicians make a top 11 of the tournament they follow. This until December, and we start collecting many players in the database. From there we apply filters to try to get to April with 120 names, 11 or 12 for each position. Then we started to delve into the profiles.

"I’m in close contact with the first team, I know what I need, but I don’t neglect positions that apparently aren’t a priority because you never know: maybe another club pays the clause of a player you didn’t expect to sell or makes an offer you can’t refuse. It happened with Fazio and Kondogbia, that Tottenham and Monaco paid their clauses and we had to be prepared to react in the market.

"We’re never going to see a player because the coach told us to, but we don’t bring him in without the coach’s authorisation either. If you buy the president, that’s bad. If I buy alone, bad too. The key is the distribution of work. The coach asks for a player profile, not the name. I make a series of proposals: if he knows the player and we prefer to deal with the player because it’s easier, as happened with Banega, which Emery knew well.

On Rome’s budget, he confessed: "The fans have to follow us, but they will only do it if they see results: they won’t come to the stadium to applaud the budget. If I close the year with assets of 45 million but we haven’t won anything, they won’t be happy.

"I have a close relationship with the staff. I’m a sports director who likes to be close to players and coaches, contact helps to get to know people. This is crucial, because most likely if a player is failing is that the reason is discontent or sadness. If you’re not close to them, you don’t realize it. I’m always in the locker room, not to spy, but to let them know I’m there for them. The same with Di Francesco, you don’t have to make an appointment to talk to him. For me, this aspect was non-negotiable. If I’m not like that, then I’m not Monchi. I feel very part of the team.

-Is your methodology the same as the one you had in Seville?

-Here I have found an important base. It was doing a good job, especially at the level of something I like very much, data, and exporting my way of working has not been difficult. From the first day I explained it, my collaborators understood it. It’s very similar to how we did in Seville with the addition of data management. Today’s football can’t turn its back on data, on the “big machine”. Data is not everything, but it does help. It is important to have the possibility to have the data, analyse it and apply it. There will always be the subjective nuance of the person who sees the player, but in the end the data is basic.

-Something like “Milan Lab”.

-It’s not the same. “Milan Lab” is different. It goes more to the physical data, and we go to the physical data mixed with the technician. A match generates eight million data. Imagine that. It’s about creating profiles of players according to the needs we have through the data. If you’re looking for a right-back and you have a forward like Dzeko, who’s a good shooter, what you’re looking for is a right-back with a good percentage of crosses. That’s data. But then you have to see that percentage of centers if you do it in the third part of the field, in the second, ten meters, five meters, with an opponent in front, with two, in the first half, in the second half … There are so many data to analyze… The virtue of the data analyst is to extract the positive data and leave out the one that makes noise.

Q. In Italy today it is very clear what kind of team Juve of Allegri or Napoli of Sarri are. But Rome have failed to define their identity. What should it be?

A. On a sporting level, I’m a Bilardist (Carlos Bilardo, former Argentinean Coach, has a philosophy of win or nothing): I like a winning team. That it faces each party with the mentality of winning. But fundamentally it has to be a reflection of their fans. Being an entity marks its fan, which is the only thing that lasts. The fan will always be there. And if you are able to build a team where the fan can reflect, you have a better chance of success. And the fans of Rome are very ambitious, always aspiring to win.

Q. Fans have always complained that Rome sold out its stars. But you’ve based part of your model on that.

A. I don’t think we have to be afraid to sell good players; the problem is not buying them. Rome must aspire to be more stable, but from the conviction that absolutely nothing happens by selling.

2 Likes

John Monchi? :bellerin: Am I missing the joke here?

Na, just weird Irish being weird. :xhaka2:

5 Likes

As it looks ridiculous tbh hah. Should just change it back

Imagine he went nuclear…

‘John-Paul Monchi’

:giroud3:

3 Likes