January Transfer window thread

What you say makes a lot of sense. I also remember Wenger saying that a few years back and thought at the time this was him covering for the fact we hadn’t tied Alexis down to a long term deal, but there is a lot of logic particularly for the players.

Take Ramsey - if he had two/three years left on his contract and we sold him in the summer, we would be able to command a decent fee for the player and Ramsey would get an improved salarly with his new club. However, by running his contract down, he will likely get a higher wage because his new club won’t have to pay a transfer fee. It wouldn’t take much for players to start signing shorter contracts to boost their ability to command a higher salarly or signing on fee.

What?

Have I misunderstood what the word obligation means when suffixed with the words “to buy”? I swear the whole point of the obligation to buy part is that you don’t get to try before you buy.

I’m operating under the assumption that these loans will have appearance based triggers in them.

Is there any basis for that assumption? Is that how they usually work? Asking that out of ignorance BTW.

I don’t think that’s how most loans work. I think most loans are just loans and that the player goes back when the season or half season is over.

But lately I feel like I’ve seen more loans with options to purchase or loans with appearance based obligations to purchase. It’s a way for teams to get creative with their recruitment.

Selling teams are not going to accept this kind of construction. Barcelona did it with Rafinha for example, Inter didn’t follow up, and now they want to give Arsenal an obligation to buy in stead of an option.

Monaco knew for a fact that were getting that Mbappe money anyway.

Salah’s off to BVB!!! for 100m.

:henry2:

Messi to Liverpool for 90M. (that’s a tad more realistic, isn’t it?)

Spent 1 hour rolling in my bed last night, thinking how we should line up post-winter window, and then another for post-summer window. Typical…

I’ve got Marcello to Barcelona for 34m.

Guys STOP

WTF

7 Likes

I know right, a couple of days left of the window and every post is this shite.

1 Like

The thing is that these fantasy transfers are more likely than us buying what we need in this window :grinning:

You sub 20-percenters absolutely disgust me.

13 Likes

This is such a low.
We Arsenal fans have literally nothing to live for anymore.

1 Like

It’s still so confusing that we will probably end up with Suarez and Perisic/Carrasco and we are not even trying to sign CB/RB, whoever is responsible for transfers at the moment doesnt seem to watch a lot of Arsenal lately :joy:

1 Like

To be fair it’s probably harder to snag a half decent CB in January. I think people will look more favourably on us getting a 5th choice midfielder from Barca with an eye for a pass, compared to the equivalent 5th choice CB at Barca.

We need like 5 players minimum in the summer. If we can secure 1 or 2 now that mean we only need 4 or 3 in the summer then I’d be happy enough with that.

2 Likes

Yeah and it’s also worth noting that we actually need to clear out our defence before we recruit players. We have Kos, Holding, Sokratis, Mustafi, Mav and Chambers as our CB options in the summer and a couple of them absolutely have to be moved on. Whereas we don’t actually have any capable wide men and therein lies a huge issue in our squad.

3 Likes