Jamie Vardy

Nah I don’t think that is true. United rarely signed players from their direct rivals but a level below that. Too keep it at the strikers; Van Nistelrooij came from PSV, Tevez West Ham, Berbatov Tottenham.

Van Persie was just an ‘special’ opportunity since he didn’t want Juventus and nobody from Spain came calling. Arsenal weren’t a threat to that club for several years at that point.

@Stroller Saha was just a back up/we will see how he develops type of player behind van Nistelrooij.

Berbatov is another example, while not direct rivals the feeding club mentality Spur’s had with United definitely hampered their progression. I honestly don’t see how anyone who followed the EPL over the last decade or so could argue that Fergie had his choice over the domestic transfer market and could literally pick and choose who he wanted from where he wanted.

It was very similar to Bayern’s domestic dominance with transfers and for me is one of the main reasons Fergie had such a stronghold on the EPL.

3 Likes

You actually believe he signed Carrick and Berbatov to hamper the progression of Tottenham Hotspur?! Sorry mate. But that is just lol. Other PL players he signed came from Blackburn, Aston Villa and Wigan. Like any other big six club by far the most signings he made came from foreign clubs. The statement that he signed players to cripple rivals or hamper top 4 candidates is simply not true.

Or you are trolling me? Trolling is becoming a thing on this board.

Yeh I’m not really sure what you don’t get about what I’m saying tbh. It’s pretty simple stuff. Fergie was a huge pragmatist who could see the value in buying in house as it weakened the domestic league. Obviously he didn’t think Spurs were going to title rivals but just look at how they have progressed in the last few years now that they are no longer bending over to sell any good players straight to United.

Personally these type of things have a knock on effect and Fergie was great at seeing it, yes the RVP deal was rare because let’s be honest how often do you think genuine title rivals would be stupid enough to do that. Fergie definitely would have taken great joy in knowing he completely hamstrung us in the CF department for the next 3 to 4 years.

I also feel like if he was still around he wouldn’t have just bought Vardy but he would have stripped them of Mahrez and Kante too. It’s just how he operated in the league.

Though I think we’ll just agree to disagree, though like usual with you I have very little idea of what you’re even arguing tbh.

1 Like

When I look at the list of PL players he bought (Young, Valencia, Berbatov, Carrick, Jones, Tevez, Zaha, Smalling, van der Sar, van Persie and Rooney). I hardly think that he did that with the point of view to weaken the domestic league. That is the point you’re making and what I’m arguing.

Every single one of those players came from clubs that weren’t a thread to United. If anything he did himself a disservice by buying Valencia, Jones and Smalling. Those three are examples of their whole downfall.

You think Arsenal were genuine title rivals? Ferguson didn’t hamstrung Arsenal. We did that ourselves.

What I’m usually arguing against is that people take certain facts and use that too substantiate some nonsensical narrative. But because the narrative is so strongly believed arguing against isn’t really allowed. I guess that is on me.

It’s multi-factor. You get a PL proven player and weaken a PL competitor. It also re-inforces the pecking order. If PL players going from other clubs to United, United become the dream destination. Getting inside knowledge about the opposition is also useful.

It’s the same thing at Bayern

2 Likes

Fair enough, if that’s what you believe I won’t try to change you mind. Though I think it’s silly to consider my stand point as a piss take, anyone who followed Fergie over the years knew he was a bit of a ruthless bully, a supreme competitor who wanted to play the game his way.

Personally I think you’re being a little naive and underestimating his intelligence in everything he did. Wenger done the same for the most part and came off 2nd best in nearly every facet of managerial life to Ferguson. Pains me to say it but the evidence is there.

Next you’ll be telling me he never tried to intimidate or influence referees.

1 Like

I think Ferguson is the greatest football manager of all time.

As far as buying players goes I think he just bought whoever he liked. Not with any other purpose. Otherwise he would have bought more domestic.

City, who had taken Toure, Adebayor, Nasri from us, were doing that.

Vardy made a career out of space in behind. As far as football reasons go, staying at Leicester was his best decision to date. Whether they’re having a shit season or a great one there are certain factors there which allow him to thrive.

I think there was a real risk of his career declining into nothing going to an Arsenal, Man Utd or Chelsea. Think we even saw a glimpse of this when he played for England.

1 Like

Vardy has excelled under a variety of different managers.

The whole needing space to operate is overblown IMO, if we’re talking about big games England generally haven’t got the best out of Kane either. He’s a quality striker that wouldn’t look out of place at one of the big clubs.

3 Likes

Disagree.

He’s a far better winger, read my latest Athletic piece on why.

1 Like

To think we could be playing Auba on the left, Vardy on the right and some cunt who can’t finish through the middle. Dreams.

5 Likes

He is obviously better than the likes of Abraham/Giroud or Ighalo. Wouldn’t trade Auba, Kane nor Aguero for him.

Numbers back it up i’m afraid. Statistically the best way to do it.

Astonishing this bloke is 34 years of age with speed he still has.

2 Likes

When’s this fucker gonna retire! :grin:

Best English striker in the league, I tells ya :wink:

2 Likes

Far the best
I don’t get Harry Kane , what’s with the long face ? :joy::face_with_hand_over_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Harry Kane walks into a bar

1 Like

Incredible how far a one season wonder can go :bergkamp2:

2 Likes