James Maddison

Hire competent people.

4 Likes

Could of hired a proven manager for a start. That comes with a complete entourage of a professional set up.
The odd couple of signings for your first eleven is nowhere enough in the modern day game.

Funnily enough the same English lot that didn’t want us doing well at the euros now down on the club :grin:

Easier said than done but I would seriously be looking at taking a break from football if I was feeling that negative about everything connected to it that I actually like.

6 Likes

They tried doing that with Emery end he was rubbish. So they tried something different. United and Chelsea have both hired young former players as managers in OGS and Frank. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a fan of our owners either. But it’s a complete myth that they don’t invest, and investing is the best way to show ambition.

Eventually the signings we make will stick. There have already been improvements under Arteta (whether people want to see them or not).

1 Like

Harsh on Vardy there tbh.

He knew we were shite and were going nowhere, chances of us challenging were slim to none. He was proven right too.

Also regarding England he was getting on in age, why put yourself through all the extra effort with a degenerative injury to be what, third choice striker? He chose to prolong his club playing career, can’t blame him there.

2 Likes

Ive acknowledged aspects of that too. I was completely against Arteta hiring but have come round that he might as well be kept than a Rafa, Nuno type hiring.
However we are very badly run football club and the people in the important positions of hiring are actually harming the club and holding us back.
Teams like Leicester are holding parity with us now because of being better run.

4 Likes

Yep, makes me wonder of there’s anything that sparks joy in the soul of some people, and why they still bother with football at all.

I can be pretty down on the club, and/or my country, at times, but some people are just relentless lol

6 Likes

Was he actually proven right?
2 FA Cups, 1 league cup final and 1 EL final. Hell, you can throw the 2 Community shields in there as well.
God knows what else we could have achieved if he came here. Ozil, Ramsey, Wilshere, Alexis and others to support him.
Knowing how stupid our club is he could’ve gotten a huge contract like Ozil and Auba too.
It turn out bad for him at Leicester but you cab definitely make a case of him doing better here.

We signed Thomas fucking Partey from Atletico fucking Madrid, yet some people refuse to consider consider for a second that this particular transfer might not be an entirely unrealistic hope.

I’m not even saying Maddison would 100% leave Leicester and join us, but if you can’t see it as a possibility then you’re going too hard on the agenda of negativity.

9 Likes

Lot of Arsenal fans your going to have to call out on here then.

2 Likes

I now really really want him. Pay the £65m. Just get it done.

1 Like

Really hope we don’t waste so much money on this guy. This window just seems to be about overpaying for homegrown trash.

1 Like

Yeah same here.

Would be an incredible buy.

1 Like

Oh right, because random football fans think we’re shit, we should just act accordingly and give up on even trying to improve.

Just because we’re underperforming now, doesn’t mean that is our fate for the next 30 years.

A couple of big signings make a big difference, and you gradually improve. It won’t happen all in one window but you start somewhere. You’re talking like we’re finished for good so why even bother. I literally don’t understand this mentality.

Arsenal still has the money and domestic prestige to buy players like Maddison. He isn’t some Galactico that is out of our reach. And we appear to be the only club interested. For the right price, most players are attainable.

But because we’re shit right now, let’s just give up yeah. Brb I’m just going to go home and stick a fork in a plug socket.

8 Likes

Remember when Liverpool were a laughing stock a decade back, or when Chelsea finished mid table. Things in football can change very quickly.

1 Like

I’ll start with you then and work my way down the list :grin:

Scottish isn’t he? :grin:

1 Like

HAHA, you’d think so :grin:

1 Like

That’s fine mate but go through this thread from last night and show me anything in the thread that was anything other than a decent football discussion.
It’s bordering on marginalised criticism now.

3 Likes

Villa and West Ham were fighting to survive 2 seasons ago, last season they were 2 of the best teams in the league.

There’s a lot of quality in our team and it’s still young too. It’s gonna get better eventually. Focusing on our domestic competitions this season could be a game changer.

2 Likes