James Maddison

What’s the max people would pay for Maddison!?

Good all round player, is a threat to the goal.

Lacks athleticism, seems to be getting more injury prone, going to be mad expensive.

Ehhhh

1 Like

30m. I don’t think he’s better than Buendia and I rate Ødegaard higher.

3 Likes

50m

1 Like

Feels like Maddison is being underrated here.

He is the same age as Buendia and has had three seasons in the Premier League better than Buendia’s one season in the league. He had a season at 20-years-old for Norwich in the Championship that wasn’t too much worse than the season Buendia just had for Norwich.

I think the injury history is a real concern and an X-factor that you’d need medical opinions to comment on. And I wouldn’t want to pay truly big money for him. But if healthy he is a proven producer in attacking midfield - he had 8 goals and 7 assists last season in only 23 appearances (only 18 of them starts) before getting hurt. He wasn’t the same player after coming back from the injury and Leicester’s form cratered when that happened.

5 Likes

Picky? He’d cost a bomb.

I don’t even hate him. I liked him for Norwich and he has had moments for Leicester. But he isn’t great. If he was going to cost £10m and we were buying other players, and people were putting their noses up then fine that’s picky. But he’d be our marquee signing.

But hey he plays in the PL so it’ll be fine.

2 Likes

Considering how few midfielders Southgate picked, I’m surprised Maddison didn’t get a spot.

1 Like

Indeed.

I wouldn’t advocate signing him either especially with injury concerns and dealing with Leicester who extract every penny but he’s better than some are making out.

2 Likes

Foden, Grealish, Mount can fullfill the same role as he plays. It’s really not that surprising tbh.

He plays CM

He’s an attacking midfielder, no?

2 Likes

played mc/ml.amc last season

Plays mainly as the CM who gets forward.

1 Like

Then Tielemans and Ndidi are centre backs who get forward :joy:.

5 Likes

Except they’re not defenders

Emi had 15 goals and 17 assists G/A contribution every 106 minutes

Maddison had 14 goals 8 assists G/A contribution every 165 minutes

I dunno if I’d define that as not too much worse. Emi’s season was monstrous and Maddison’s was pretty good. Maddison was quite a bit younger back then tho so a slight nod to him.

1 Like

He played almost all his games at attacking midfielder last season.

Buendia is more well rounded. Maddison only edges him in set pieces.
Both very good players of course but if you ask Norwich fans who have watched Buendia for their team and followed Maddison in the PL after he moved too they all agree Buendia is the superior player.

1 Like

Rodrigo De Paul going for €35m. Seems a steal at that price :grin:

That’s a fair enough point. It’s worth noting, however, that Maddison’s 14/8 season came on a bad Norwich team that scored only 49 goals and finished 14th. Doing that at 20 is pretty impressive.

I’m not trying to run down Buendia. But Maddison has had a very good career trajectory and I think people are dismissing him a little bit just because he seems like old news, even though he is still young.

4 Likes