Jack Wilshere

It’s definitely horseshit because as an under 21 he didn’t need to be registered until probably the 13/14 season.

There’s also WADA and UK anti doping who wouldn’t care if he was registered or not.

1 Like

Good player but didn’t know when to release the ball, often dribbled into problems and didn’t have the decisive passing to truly push on.

Wilshere body broke down on him but the truth is even with those injuries, if he knew when to pass the ball and when to dribble he probably would still have been able to bounce back and have some sort of career.

Has a place in football history as one of the most overhyped talents I’ve ever seen. Exciting young prospect but not intelligent enough on the ball to be elite.

2 Likes

Most excited I have been about a Youth player. Youth breakthrough season at age 19 where he made the Premier League team of the season & won PL young player of the season had a career altering injury. Jack’s man problem is .He was diving into 50-50 challenges constantly. After media hype got to his head . injuries Wilshere was already losing form, going clubbing and smoking did not help either . Still without a club .Done at 29 very sad

That is an unfair assessment of a player so young.
He could’ve easily developed that very quickly (in a year) if he weren’t constantly injured.

He had decent runs between injuries though, when it was highlighted the lack of awareness in his game.

1 Like

How much of that is due to coaching though?

His talent was immense, yes he had deficiencies but plenty of our youngest and brightest weren’t exactly developed correctly.

1 Like

Plenty of young talent became better attacking players under Wenger I’m not buying that Wilshere wasn’t coached well.

He wasn’t an attacking player though and please tell me these players.

Fair point to a degree. Far too many promising players were allowed to develop bad habits and not have them checked over the years.
However with his position I put as much onus on the player.
I don’t think he read the game well enough to be classed as high as he is here.

3 Likes

I don’t quite agree there this is a guy who was awarded six out of seven MOTM’s in Euro 2016 qualifying matches.

With better coaching and a body that was built for the game he could have been excellent IMO, yes there was OTT hype but he had big time talent and its a shame it was never fully realised.

2 Likes

Still better than Xhaka.

1 Like

not difficult though is it

1 Like

Better talent, not a better body

What was his longest run between injuries?
I mean, his passing was incredible, and if we’re nit-picking around a soft skill like choosing when to pass, I think it’s one of the few that can be both coached and acquired via experience.

The irony is, is that we’d kill for Jack to be in our team at the moment.

2 Likes

Sounds more like a gossip column than a sports article

10 Likes

David Ornstein is doing Jack a favour with this interview.

Tiny excerpt.

6 Likes

Jack Wheelchair. Classic.

5 Likes