Ivan Toney

This is definitely the main reason he’s not going to the World Cup

2 Likes

Oh shit. What’s gonna happen to him?

Is it?

I didn’t think him being left out was all that controversial. Not saying you’re wrong, but I don’t think there needs to be another explanation other than him simply not making the cut. I mean, seems like it was just between him and Wilson - and Wilson has been playing well.

1 Like

He’s gonna be forced to play for Scotland instead

Ivan Toney has been playing better than Wilson over the last year. In the league this season, it is 10 goals in 14 games for Toney vs 6 goals in 11 games for Wilson. Toney also got selected ahead of Wilson in the previous squad and has done nothing on the pitch to suggest he shouldn’t warrant another call-up.

The FA has not only stated that there’s been in breach but displayed the number too. That again feels significant.

2 Likes

They were briefed no doubt

Dude has a serious problem if true

1 Like

Of course it is lol

OK. I personally just wouldn’t have selected him for the squad regardless of this latest development

1 Like

It’s time to put money on Brentford to get relegated ;).

Tripper got a 10 week ban
Sturridge got a 4 month ban

Both for considerably fewer breaches

To be fair with all the other social media issues he’s had, I wouldn’t be surprised that he’s this way inclined.

Can see a 9-12 month ban

I’m just glad they waited until he’d buried Man City before releasing this information.

15 Likes

I really think the context of what the bets were should matter more than anything else here.

He bet on himself to score or his team to win, I don’t see the problem. Other way around, absolutely questionable.

The rule needs some tolerance given the exposure of the game to gambling in general

3 Likes

At least a year ban given the number of breaches and the fact it’s over a 4 year period.

I don’t think you can ever have someone involved in a game betting on that game even if they’re betting on themselves.

Just for example, he might be using inside information about another player’s fitness status to decide that he’ll place a bet on his own team to win. Or he might use information that someone is out injured and definitely not going to play to just not place a bet.

I know in theory it’s no big deal if he’s backing himself to score, but it’s such a minefield to regulate that stuff. I think the bigger issue is the relationship football has with sports betting. I remember being so shocked about the ads when I first started watching on sketchy streams. It seemed so unusual and now it’s just migrated over to the USA.

2 Likes

Yea I don’t think I’m 100% right or you’re 100% wrong on this point. I just happen to disagree with a black and white rule on it. Toney can have no complaints if the ban comes. He knew the rules. I just think the nature of the bet should be part of the mix here instead if just the fact the bet happened.

I think it should definitely part of how they hand out discipline, if they’re going to do it. If he placed a bet on himself 200-some times to score a goal, that’s way different than placing bets on his team to lose or placing bets on himself to pick up a yellow.

I don’t know the rules, only speaking from a fairness pov.

If he is betting with regards to his team, he has the advantage of knowing the team sheet, tactics and his own availability to score the goal, which other fans wouldn’t have.

Ideally he shouldn’t be allowed to make bet wrt his team regardless of him betting in favour or against.

1 Like

Yo @sevchenko, “nothing burger story” was the phrase, right? :grin:

2 Likes

Lets say he is betting on himself to score, how much more info does he have about the likelihood of that happening than I would placing the bet 5 minutes before kick off, after lineups have been announced?

If someone is betting on themselves to do their job well then I don’t think that can compromise the integrity of the match in question, or what little integrity you could associate gambling markets.

2 Likes