Isolation

Good to hear. If this change to working practice happens on a large enough scale across urban India and urban China then as a species we could have a lot to thank Sars-Cov-2 for in the future

1 Like

I agree.

I know it’s awful but this is going to have massive long term implications for society, and positive ones I think.

Aside from WFH culture improving, I think we’ll see a huge increase in investment in autonomous logistics vehicles and routes, increased investment in robotics in manufacturing and supermarkets so we aren’t reliant on a workforce that can get sick, and pulling back production and manufacturing to Europe from China (to some extent).

I think this will a watershed moment in history that will spark a tinderbox of progression that otherwise would have been much slower in coming.

2 Likes

The market will be motivated to innovate through fear of repercussions of this every few years and will perhaps no longer wait for the whims of lazy consumers to change, or direction from self-serving government that only wish to preserve the status quo while they’re in power

Of course there will be a massive demand surge in electricity generation for home working, which will have to be met by renewables and not these countries knocking up coal plants every 10 days, but still.

Imagine the reduction in emissions overall from the transportation sector for 2020. Could be like a window into the future :+1:

2 Likes

Yep.

I think this will have very positive ramifications for society in the long run.

1 Like

Yeah it’s a shame that it has come due to a killer pandemic but work from home helps half the world problems.
Climate change, Real estate prices, commuting hours, overcrowding etc etc all of which I have repeated before.

In a way this pandemic (if it is short lived) pushed us ahead half a decade in terms of improving certain areas.

You hope.

The alternative is that these shutdowns and the subsequent devastation to the world economy means less investment in green technologies and action on climate change.

I hope your vision is more correct though. It just depends on how governments react to this.

1 Like

Days are just a blurr now and all feel mashed together when WFH. Went for a 5km run last night in an empty park which was refreshing. Missing the gym though and dumbbell sets online are either out of stock or cost a bomb right now.

1 Like

No way I just can’t see this going the other way haha

I think there will be a short term response for a bit but I sadly can’t see a huge deal changing in the world order (I’d love to be wrong). Exploiting Asians in poverty will always be more beneficial to paying someone a living wage.

We’re going to have western countries with tons of debt and economies in tatters. I doubt all this state intervention is going to change Tory idealogy into thinking it’s a great idea. They’ll be back to trusting the market to do the right thing soon enough.

What will change is as soon as this kind of thing happens again everyone will be on the government to do something about it - screening at airports and quarantines etc. to prevent it getting in in the first place.

3 Likes

Funnily enough, that’s what I have been doing.

We released some of our best work over the last few months actually.

4 Likes

Been working from home for over a week now.

It went really well! :+1: I had a very good focus, no distractions from colleagues. However… just as I was in the zone. I received a call from the client, saying they wanted to postpone the project due to all the corona troubles. Fuck. Lots of projects cancelled or delayed in the last few days.

Doing some minor internal projects but my work set-up at home is fine so far. Got a cheap desk chair from a mate’s dusty attic to properly support my back, instead of the awful living room chair.

Very hard to not go outdoors, though. Going on walks occasionally as there are great forests closeby and very large, so little chance of running into people.

3 Likes

Going outdoors is not the problem. Contact with other people is :sweat_smile:.

3 Likes

Tell me about it. Had to visit the shopping centre yesterday, a nightmare, even on a Monday.

Since you are a pro, any recommendations to make it work.

I have to release three projects before 31st.
Dev is done for two but delivering last one in one week is gonna be a challenge

No ice no problem

get back inside you pecorino cunt

6 Likes

So today I had one of the most dystopian conversations I’ve ever had with a colleague that every now and then gives unsolicited political opinions. Normally they’re on the conservative side which doesn’t bother me but this time it’s clear this isolation is getting to him. His opinions ranged from:

• Corona virus only affects the elderly and sick so we should just let it cull the herd (he has asthma, over weight and over 50)

• The virus appears where Chinese people live in the U.S. therefore “Chinese Virus” is a good name for it

• People are ungrateful to trump

• People are making too big a deal about this whole thing and everyone should just get back to normal life

Someone made the point that at we’ll eventually be able to draw a close correlation between COVID-19 deaths and Fox News viewership on a regional map.

3 Likes

they’ll learn in 2 weeks.

1 Like

@Cristo I had a mental breakdown and went for it

The regret was almost instantaneous.

30 Likes

haha with clean shave, I was thinking about this as well.
Thank you for making me regain senses