I want a new job

Jakey?

2 Likes

Well done mate! Such a good feeling - what are you going to be doing?

1 Like

Vieira

2 Likes

If it ain’t you you’ve stolen some likes there. :grin:

1 Like

A victory for all Joshuas and Joshes

3 Likes

Back to the bookies I go! Gonna be trained to be duty manager within at least 3 months which is more I’m getting at the current shithole I worked for :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

7 Likes

Anyone ever had to take one of those personality questionnaires at work? You know the kind that asks whether you strongly agree or disagree and rephrases the same questions over and over.

What exactly is the point of these questionnaires? I mean I get they measure consistency and score you based on your occupation but what exactly would my supervisor use this kind of assessment for?

8 Likes

Yeah every year. They cherry pick the answers they want and put a positive spin on it in a stupid data graphic.

9 Likes

Is it one of those where you end up a green/blue/red/yellow personality by the end of it?

It’s all crap. Time could be better spent on teaching people how to manage, how to teach, how to motivate.

5 Likes

Sounds like you’ve accidentally joined Scientology. If anyone asks you to hold some cans politely decline and call Tom Cruise a cunt.

10 Likes

I just middle option it throughout. Done in seconds :+1:

3 Likes

Pretty much me too. Use to go in depth but then they stopped you naming managers, so gave up and just go through the motions.

Indeed. I spent an entire hour today answering the same set of questions. I only recently started this job and am already getting fed up with the level of scrutiny and micromanagement. They even sent me one of those find-my-wallet tracking devices with the company logo as a gift.

LO fucking L straight into the garbage.

2 Likes

What job is it, mate, I’m intrigued…

(Although you don’t have to say, of course. I respect your privacy)

1 Like

Nahh it’s not too private. I do sales for a major corp.

1 Like

I’ve had to do a number over the last 5 years. The main one was DISC and personally found it incredibly helpful in understanding my personality traits and my natural strengths and weaknesses. As a a manager it was also really helpful in gaining a better understanding of other personalities within my team. Most important thing is to answer the questions honestly and remember there isn’t a wrong or right answer. Most of the questions are in multiple form as well, so if you try to answer in a particular way you will be caught out.

Yeah that sounds all well and good but these sorts of psychological assessments are designed for companies to figure out better ways to extract more value from you while paying you the same wage. It’s forcing you to contribute to your own manipulation.

I’ve applied for a new job for the first time in seven years. We’ve had a lot of shuffling at work of late and some of my friends and peers got promotions. I explained to Meredith that my boss wouldn’t promote me to a more senior spot because he probably doesn’t think much of my skill as a lawyer but that I also didn’t necessarily care to be promoted which I guess was a bit sad. It means handling more complex cases, but also more serious cases that would probably be depressing.

I genuinely love working with crime victims and defendants who have massive addiction issues even though what I do is super unsexy. I’ve also worked there for so long, there’s a huge fear factor in looking elsewhere.

Add in the fact we’re about to have a baby in six weeks and it’s questionable whether changing jobs, albeit to something slower paced, is even a good idea.

Has anyone else stuck it out at a job despite management not necessarily being their biggest fan because they valued the work?

5 Likes

I always tell my friends to listen to opportunities, especially when they are comfortable with their jobs & when there is no desperation to leave. You don’t need to accept them or even act on them unless it really excites you.
Let the calls come to you and you may find some place where your preferred work category is considered critical and you would be more valued.

It’s a slow process but eventually very rewarding to be open to random HR calls.

I would say more than a fear factor, it is more of a comfort zone issue when you leave a job that has become a second home to you.
I worked for an organization for 6 years and that building, that beautiful campus was like a second home to me, it had a lot of memories. It took a lot out of me to let it go.

If you are in your 30s or 40s, don’t waste your time if you don’t feel valued (unless you have a very calm mind). Not a great environment to be in for your own mental wellbeing. Sometimes there is no internal issue but your mind will look for a conflict or confrontation and you will turn out to be the jerk.

2 Likes

Congratulations buddy :blush:

1 Like