Houssem Aouar

My feel is he is more likely to have an edge than Aouar, and we need more players with some personality on the pitch to impose themselves.

1 Like

Fair enough, I think Maddison is a known quantity personally and far from outstanding. I feel Aouar has the possibility for more but is a case of whether he has the right attitude and might be because heā€™s relatively less known.

1 Like

Heā€™s been tarnished by minor injuries here and there which is probably the biggest worry with him.
I also wouldā€™ve liked if he was a bit more pacey too as I think it would allowed him to be a better ball carrier.

His numbers are pretty good for a midfielder though.
He has goals in him. Has a great range of passing with both feet, can take FKs and corners.
We donā€™t have many players (if any) in our team with these attributes.

Heā€™s aware of the links thenā€¦.

2 Likes

I assume he got bombarded with messages from Arsenal fans when the rumours popped up again.

1 Like

Bernard :clown_face: show keeps on giving.
Arsenal who are planning to sign Ben White for 50m, have made a significant offer to Sassuolo for Locatelli and are planning to bid on Maddison soon(who will most likely cost over 60m), do not have the resources to challenge Spurs for Aouar.
And I doubt the idea is for Maddison + Aouar. Itā€™s one or the other, The Smith stays.

I agree.
There is no way weā€™ll get both Maddison and Aouar, especially if we get White and possibly Locatelli.
I would prefer Maddison anyway and, if spurs want Aouar, he is more than welcome to go there.

1 Like

We wonā€™t get anywhere near that amount of players.

Best we can hope for is White and Aouar imo.

3 Likes

We should be getting another 4 players in on top of Lokonga and Tavares.

GK, White, CM/DM, AM.

Anything less and weā€™re setting ourselves for another rocky season.

3 Likes

We have to sign Aouar

2 Likes

Earlier in the window I had hoped for it as well man but I canā€™t see it happening. Weā€™ll end up with some players stuck here that we canā€™t shift and have to try all over again next Jan or summer to shift them.

Kola - no market
Willian - fat bastard wants too much money
Willock - Newcastle only want him on loan ??
AMN - no market
Torreira - Reports of Lazio / Serie A died down.
Xhaka - still not confirmed gone but hopeful
Laca - looks likely to run down his deal
Bellerin - sparse rumours
Runnarson - hopefully going, could just release really.
Cedric - likely to stay (fine with that tbh)
Nelson - no market, maybe a loan ??

Doesnā€™t leave us much space for additions and leaves us hoping for better from largely the same set of crap we had last season.

For me Aouar will make a big difference and a CB isnā€™t a priority but I think White is a good player who could fill Luiz gap, hopefully without the mistakes.

Why do we have to? :sweat_smile:

Because Maddison wonā€™t join us

1 Like

Thereā€™s a bigger chance Maddison joins than Aouar for me.
Aouar isnā€™t that keen on a move to Arsenal. I can see him staying at Lyon for another season like Depay.

Yeah Iā€™m writing it off now. Where not making sufficient money to purchase him and White. Where in a fucking mess and not looking like we have much of a clue how to get out of it tbh.

4 Likes

Because heā€™s a top tier talent available at a knockdown price. Iā€™m favouring Aouar over most midfielders in Europe right now.

Iā€™m hearing Ā£20-25m, thatā€™s a crazy price for someone of his skill set

5 Likes

Maddison isnā€™t worth anywhere near 60m, if you can get someone better for half the price then Iā€™d pursue that as a priority.

He has two years left on his contract though so he canā€™t run it down so easily as Depay did. Memphis had also already made a lot of money, getting 100k per week at Manchester United and close to that at Lyon whereas Aouar now seems to be on like 60k per week even after a significant pay rise. He has a lot of incentive to lock in a big 5 year contract with a bigger club this summer.

I agree that Arsenal clearly arenā€™t his first choice but we might end up being his best choice because I donā€™t see clubs like Juve or Barca going for him.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s also a reason why heā€™s went from a Ā£45m CL stud to a 20 million brat that no one wants. Iā€™d personally take the chance too but Iā€™m not sure I dig his character, could easily see him coming here, realizing itā€™s not going his way and end up being more of a burden than asset.

At that kind of money I would take the chance but Iā€™d much prefer we put it towards someone like Maddison. I do believe we need the profile of both though if we ever want to play nice football again.

2 Likes

Fabrizio said there has been interest but heā€™s waiting for clubs like Barca, Juve, Madrid, etc.
Itā€™s why he wasnā€™t that keen last summer and didnā€™t force a move here.