Health and Fitness

This of course was no concern to me in 2012.

1 Like

:clap:

5 Likes

So true. I did the gait analysis with Asics and loved my Gel-Kayano 22 runners. Bought 2 pair, so they lasted for a while. Sadly went and got a newer version during lockdown, so purchased online, they sure don’t have the support my old ones had. They feel so hard. Couldn’t get comfortable running in them at all. I really don’t understand why they have to make changes every year.

Gone back to swimming now with pools open after a few running injuries sustained after changing my shoes. Better than pounding the pavement for my body at least. Feels food.

1 Like

Any advice on decent shampoos to counteract the chlorine? My hair is getting WRECKED right now.

Next time I head back to the States to visit family, I’m stocking up on Ultraswim. Sadly, people selling it over here are marking it up like crazy. It’s normally around $5 and I can’t find it for less than £20. I’ve gone to Triswim for now. It’s the best I’ve tried over here so far. You can get it on Amazon. I let the shampoo sit whilst I wash my body and then rinse. Feel like it gives it some time to work. I also use the conditioner which is pretty decent. I’ve got the body wash as well and I’m not really sold on it. It’s okay, but doesn’t seem to really get rid of the chlorine smell from the skin for the price.

I’m still using Olaplex no. 3 at least once a week, usually at the weekend as I only swim during the week. It’s hair treatment. I apply to damp hair and let it sit for at least 5 minutes, then rinse and wash as usual. This tends to help replenish and could be a different brand. I use Olaplex as it was recommended for waving/curly hair. I’ve started to get a treatment when I get my hair cut (about every 8-10 weeks) as well and it really helps. I also colour my hair, so started the Olaplex treatment some time ago now and sticking with it.

I bought the Sink or Swim shampoo bar and conditioner bar, but I haven’t tried it yet. If it works it will save me loads. I paid about £7 for both and it will last longer. I need to buy a container for it so I can try it out. Strong sent thought from the box, so we’ll see. Another that has been recommended is Paul Mitchell clarifying three shampoo. Again, haven’t tried, but probably will at some point. I’ve used Paul Mitchell before and it’s generally good, just never tried this for swimming.

1 Like

Thanks!

I had been using a loreal kids chlorine shampoo which was fine but Target suddenly stopped carrying it after the summer. I didn’t really want to spend $25 on a tiny bottle of some fancypants shampoo unless it really worked. I already get trolled in my house for spending more on hair care products than Meredith does.

Well, if you’re in the States, then you could try the Ultraswim. I used to use it and remember it being quite good. For around $5 (depending on sales tax), it’s worth a try.

1 Like

Just done a 5k park run today in 21 mins 37secs

6 Likes

Fast that. Youll go quicker. Just don’t go full out every week.

1 Like

Blazing! Pushing that 7 minute/mi barrier.

2 Likes

So I’ve been focusing on strength and gaining good quality lean muscle and I’m 10kg up. I’ve grown well over the last 9 or so weeks and I’m gonna ramp it up now and shoot for another 5-6kg in the next month.

Obviously a lot of it is water, far and muscle so it’s not just 10kg of lean muscle but I reckon if I can keep this momentum going until around April next year, when I start to strip it off it’ll be a fantastic look.

Main aims;

Bring up triceps
Bring up chest
Improve lower back
Improve hamstrings

Volume on all of the above is high and increasing weekly. 5 days of training, 2 days of rest.

Seems to be working well so far. Only really struggle with appetite as getting 3400 calories in a day is not easy.

6 Likes

Move to the USA, we’ve got that covered.

7 Likes

Two prominent bodybuilders have died in the last 4-6 weeks. The first cause of death hasnt been confirmed yet but he died in peak week.

For those who don’t know, peak week is the week leading up to a competition where a bodybuilder “dries” out. Meaning they totally deplete there body of water and then fill up to create a hard and dry look. This often in loves the usage of some diuretics which are incredibly dangerous. George Peterson was a top quality bodybuilder and a lovely guy but it’s a stark reminder of the dangers that a man who was considered the 3rd best in the world in his division died like that.

Then just yesterday Shawn Rhoden, the 2018 Mr Olympia winner died of a reported heart attack. He hasn’t competed in 3 years due to an ongoing court case but I’m reading unconfirmed rumours that his death was linked to cocaine use.

Ultimately there really is no healthy way to be 130-140kg. Not fat and certainly not muscle. There are plenty of medical journals that indicate the body had to work even harder with that amount of muscle and has a higher cardiac load. That, coupled with abuse of synthetic hormones, growth hormone, insulin and other ancillaries are a recipe for death.

Shawn Rhoden was 47 with a 6 year old daughter and George Peterson was 37

5 Likes

Be careful bro :pray:

Furosemide is no joke and can really fuck your kidneys, especially if you’re limiting water intake on top of that.

1 Like

Yeah for sure. UK coaches are so far ahead of the Americans it’s unreal. They don’t use diuretics here and are also against the usage of aromatise inhibitors.

Thankfully if I do compete, I won’t be doing any of that dangerous shit the Americans do.

3 Likes

Yeh body building is about as far health and fitness as you can get lol. Such a paradoxical pursuit. I remember Rich Piana talking about how the heart can’t differentiate between excess muscle and fat, all these dudes know the risks yet they walk head first into it. I feel like the entire thing needs reformed, as a sport it doesn’t really fall into modern day wellness.

It’s essentially a form of body dysmorphia where people shoot themselves up with so much shit it sends them to an early grave. There’s very little illusion with it now a days too, everyone knows the dangerous deal behind it all, the veil has come down in regard to how people get that way.

Can’t deny lads look fire swol but it’s not worth people’s lives.

4 Likes

They really need to regulate this. I think even in wrestling, MMA, individuals dehydrate themselves to verge of death to meet the weight class.

3 Likes

Just can’t see how diuretics would be prescribed here unless for hypertension or oliguria.

Obtained by questionable methods?

You can get ahold of anything tbh mate. You don’t need a prescription you just need to know someone who sells it.

Metformin and telmisartan are two widely used drugs in UK bodybuilding but both are prescription only

2 Likes

This one has a few more indications (type 2 diabetes and PCOS in women) so it might be easier to get than furosemide.

Still worrying, though :confused: