Health and Fitness

I tried intermittent fasting when I wasn’t working out and that was fine but after I’ve been to the gym in the morning I’m absolutely ravenous and at the very least need my protein shake or some boiled eggs to tide me over until lunch.

I do 20-25 minutes cardio before I start my work out which is entirely based around barbell, dumbbell and resistance machine exercises. I work Chest, Shoulders + Back, Legs, Bis Big Tris on all 4 separate days and then I’ll have a day or two of accessory work.

I guess being 29 doesn’t help either.

1 Like

I was amazed by how quickly I got over the mindset that you need fuel in your body to go out a jog, I have so much more energy on an empty stomach and love breaking the fast after the run with a protein shake.

Small fasts really helps me distinguish between I’m truly hungry and eating out of boredom/depression.

All the positives in regard to fasting might be overblown but if you feel better with something then you owe it to yourself to give it a chance, I find 90 percent of fitness if just finding what works for you.

@Cristo you can fast in the evening instead of the morning too, I never have an appetite in the morning so I do 16-8, eating from around 4 in the afternoon to 12 at night, but you could certainly eat earlier and have less in the evenings.
You’re energy levels will improve and you appetite will lessen after a week of it, but if you don’t enjoy it, or your body doesn’t take to it then you just try something else. Like I say it’s all about compromise, small sustainable lifestyle changes at our age.

1 Like

Yeah I never eat anything before I go to the gym in the morning, ever. Hate working out on a full stomach.

So I’ll do the cardio and workout on an empty stomach, although I’ll usual have some water and pre-workout beforehand.

I never train on an empty stomach because my training style is heavily reliant on a combination of heavy sets and drop sets and I feel like I need a lot of fuel to get through those.

But fasted cardio, I can do up to an hour when I’m really prepping and trying to cut the fat

Ive gained a stone and a half in the last year or so, fat and muscle, but just find cutting so tedious. Think ima just bulk for life.

4 Likes

Haha I’ve had this thought so many times in my life. Specially in Winter in this country when it’s so hard to get out a run.

1 Like

I love cutting. I really enjoy the struggle and the strain, the lowered calories, the mental fogginess that comes with it.

And the results are extremely satisfying.

I’m 10kg heavier than my most lean right now and it bothers me when I start to lose my lines haha

1 Like

I tend to lose stubborn weight more by weight lifting than cardio

Oh for sure, the results are amazing. I done it a few yrs back. Got down to about 73kg-75kg and looked lean af. But now up to about 90kg at 5’8 due to constant bulking lol.

1 Like

Bet you’re strong AF as well lol. That’s the one thing I love about bulking, filling out t shirts better and being strong AF

Oh I have no trouble filling out my clothes being a fucking endomorph (aka fat cunt body type) lol. Wouldn’t say I’m that strong, probably average.
At my best:
Overhead press 60kg
Bench 110kg (cant do more without spotter)
Deadlift 160kg PB but dont touch them anymore.

As I work out mostly from home I don’t really ever do deadlifts. Is there any reason you stopped them, are they as vital as some people make out?

I kept fucking my lower back up, no matter how much I perfected my form. So cba risking it anymore.

Yeh I don’t like the way they feel either but concerned I’m missing out by leaving them out.

They are a brilliant exercise because they engage your core massively and also work a lot of muscles, including your lower back legs and glutes.

I love them and I’m gutted that I can’t do them anymore

1 Like

I fucked my back through a mixture of average form and not training my core specifically enough to assist with the increase in weight being lifted.

But I spent ages sorting out my core and my form and I still think they are a great lift and I personally just enjoy doing them.

Dont think they are wildly necessary because that depends on what your personal goals are.

You can very easily get in great shape or very strong without doing them, I just like the fact I can get really strong just by picking up a heavy thing a few times.

Same with squats, I personally love them but you dont need to squat if you dont care about anything more than low body fat and a bit of shape to your legs.

3 Likes

If you don’t wanna do deadlift, try this one.

If the perception matters say you have to drive later so can’t chance it. Drink driving is socially unacceptable enough for the most part that people won’t really question you.

A good excuse but easily countered by “where are you driving in London?!”

That’s when you start screaming ‘ITS PERSONAL’ and run away.

1 Like