Granit Xhaka

Yeah, sums up my thoughts on Xhaka lately. He’s improved quite a bit over the last season or so, but there’s definitely room for an upgrade, and I think it must be done to take us to the next level.

1 Like

The way I see it is this - we will have to rotate and rest our main players at various points. Injuries will also hit us.

If Partey is fit, our midfield still functions and can perform at a high level. In a CL game, he keeps us competitive.

However, if Xhaka is the only senior pro available and you play him as the main guy in midfield, we are not the same level. He doesn’t keep us at that elite level. He is in fact likely to be targeted.

Plug in Rice, Gundogan and players of that level and I think we remain highly competitive. We need players who on their own can carry a midfield still.

We relied far too much on Partey being the main midfielder. We need 2 more of that sort of level to really push on. Xhaka leaving gives us an opportunity to recruit two bodies in that space.

3 Likes

Agreed. Xhaka is/was a good partner to Partey but Partey did the heavy lifting.

Yes, we struggled without Xhaka a bit too but I still felt confident with Partey even if it meant Vieira or Lokonga (did he ever start next to Partey? ) playing.

For me it’s the other way. We’ll be fine generally but if either new CM or Partey get injured then we’ll see a big drop off still.

Xhaka would’ve been a good gap filler between Partey/Rice → Vieira/ESR/Lokonga.

I guess we have Jorginho now and Arteta must be thinking he is that filler now, hence allowing Xhaka to leave. If we sign a second cm of starting quality beyond rice then on the pitch there shouldn’t be much to worry about. Only how quickly the new guys adapt.

Just again need Jorginho to step up off the pitch.

1 Like

Good servant and finally had a good season. Wasn’t the best player in the world but always liked his attitude especially when telling some of our entitled fans to fuck off. Glad to be parting on good terms.

2 Likes

Arteta shoehorned him in to a position until he could get rid and upgrade him

The sooner the better for him going, we will get a player much more suited to that position to help Mikel achieve the type of play he wants.
I feel he is getting so close to playing how he wants, Partey at RB was immense Sunday, and that lets him play the inverted role at LB or RB which can keep other teams in the dark on how we turn up.

Looks like Bayern admit defeat in their Rice pursuit.

https://twitter.com/afcstuff/status/1664569616478220290?s=46&t=AXaXFdGpC85RzXwk6DBMgA

1 Like

Xhaka would be crazy to turn down Bayern in favour of Leverkusen

4 Likes

Well I wouldn’t say that, in terms of playing yeah you’d be correct, however if leverkusen is offering him a role outside of playing it would a better deal for him and his family long term.

For real, 3 years with a one year option is decent, go and win some pots to add some shine to a career lacking any league titles. If he’s got anything about him or won’t be hard for him to find a coaching gig when he retires from playing, who cares if Leverkusen are offering it now, imo.

2 Likes

No way is Bayern actually looking to sign Xhaka.

1 Like

Why not?

Seems feasible to me. He’s free, likely not hugely expensive in terms of wages and is a proven performer in the league. Could see them thinking he’s a good option to have in the squad, particularly for the league, if not latter stages of the CL when they’d need/want a higher quality midfielder.

1 Like

Just like he would be for us.

Although he’s not free, it’d be at least the 15m Leverkusen we’re offering.

BIDDING WAR

We can expect a WHOPPING £8m spread over 6 years now with a STUNNING 6% sell on clause which will bring in STACKS for a 34 year old Xhaka!

BAG SECURED

8 Likes

It’s better than decent imo especially considering it was surprising Bayer offered him four years straight up.

https://twitter.com/fabrizioromano/status/1665373638810271744?s=46&t=AXaXFdGpC85RzXwk6DBMgA

Thanks for the update Fabrizio, really informative.

11 Likes

He’s updated us to say there’s nothing to update so at least the information is accurate.

He actually earns money for what is essentially guesswork and stating the obvious.

1 Like

He earns important money.
:hipster:

4 Likes