Granit Xhaka

It’s time for the next generation my friend.

Couldn’t stand him a few years back. Maybe he really was that bad or I was just suffering from a post Cazorla hangover when we lost him from the team. What a turnaround he’s had the last couple of years. I wish him all the best if he does leave.

1 Like

He is limited as a footballer but its clear as day that he is very highly respected within the game for his tactical intelligence and leadership. Not just a stalwart for Wenger, Emery, and Arteta but Mourinho wanted to bring him to Roma and now Xabi Alonso seems to think he is the veteran ingredient to add to a very young Leverkusen side. We shouldn’t oversell this but its not nothing either. Managers love Xhaka.

3 Likes

The first season we start to like him and he leaves. I loved his attitude but not his football. Just a bit too immobile. Done us good this season though so we can take that. No ill feelings from me.

3 Likes

He’d leave with his head held high and 15m is decent business.

Rice, Partey, Jorginho and El Nenny as midfield options. One more needed that is an upgrade on Lokonga, Vieira and Xhaka.

His redemption arc is complete. I think for years to come we’ll all remember him. A bit sad he’s leaving, but we need to upgrade massively in his slot.

My biggest issue with Xhaka, is how uncomfortable he looks with the ball at his feet.

Wish him the best in the next chapter of his career.

Now let’s get Rice & Caicedo!

3 Likes

It will be interesting to see how quickly this gets done.

The whole thing may just stall out and still be unresolved a month from now but if we start to see some reliable “Done deal, paperwork will go through when the window opens” stories then it’ll make me think we have Rice in the bag. I don’t see us signing off on the transfer unless we are very confident about the replacement.

1 Like

Shame his redemption arc couldn’t end with the title we’ve deserved for 95% of the season, but definitely think he can leave with his head held high after this season. He’s been way more reliable than seasons past.

1 Like

Makes more sense that we’re open to signing both Rice and Caceido now.

Losing an experienced starting quality CM means serious investment in that area is guaranteed. One player out and one in doesn’t suffice it has to be two midfielders given we were already short in depth.

Not in favour of this at all but seems like Xhaka’s made the decision. Since getting the gig in the 8 position he’s been a completely different proposition as a player to prior. He was never cut out for the base of midfield in this league but been excellent in this 4-3-3 system further forward.

Lot of spending to do.

A quartet of Partey, Rice, Jorginho and Caicedo is too defensive minded, no?

Ask Arteta, he’s the one putting that midfield together.

1 Like

I’d say so, but I do feel Partey has the tools to play the role between the most advanced and most defensive midfielder. I guess in terms of my classic FM tactics, that’d be the box to box type role with a DM and AM behind and in front of him.

Those tactics helped me win the batter Madrid 4-1 in the CL final as West Brom in FM06, so I’d say it’d definitely translate to real life in 2023.

3 Likes

Ok, William Still. :arteta4:

It does seem a little surprising that Xhaka decides to leave after his best season at the club and the first time in 7 seasons we’ve qualified for the Champions League.

He’s out of contract in 12 months and is 30?

15M is good IMO

2 Likes

I guarantee whatever fee we get for him, there will be people posting “this fucking club” etc.

Ruthless. :hocho:

Was hard to see the CL curse being broken with him still here and it paves the way for a genuine upgrade.

To call his Arsenal career underwhelming is an understatement but he leaves on a high and we still get something OK for him, no longer mad at him and wish him well.

If we got 30m plus nobody would say that lol

4 Likes