Granit Xhaka

How do we sum up his time here?

Iā€™d say in 7 years he gave us maybe 12-18 months of football at a level youā€™d expect from someone who arrived here a highly rated top performing midfielder in Germany.

All in all Iā€™m disappointed in the transfer. We had to wait half a decade to get some good performances out of him before that he was average at best and disastrously bad on his bad days.

Canā€™t say Iā€™ll miss him very much. Never took to him even if heā€™s had a good season.

10 Likes

Why leave now?

Oh well, he managed to do some good, was really good first half of the season then, decent I guess.

Very limited for what we are trying to do.

Hope we can get a good few but with edu Iā€™m not gonna hold my breath

Itā€™s a weird one. I genuinely hated the guy for a long time.

Thought he was absolutely useless under Wenger. He became somewhat ok under Emery which was an improvement, but then he snapped and told the fans off for no good reason right before Emery left. He still hasnā€™t apologized for it and pretty much defended it whenever he was questioned about it.
I think under Arteta heā€™s been mostly decent, clearly upgradeable but he has been one of Mikelā€™s most reliable soldiers, on and off the pitch.

Heā€™s probably on my good books now. Heā€™s leaving with his head held high and he should be proud of his contribution to this team the past 2 years. Wouldā€™ve been nice if he topped it with a trophy but it is what it is. Wish him luck.

2 Likes

he doesnt strike me as a player happy to sit on the bench. And he knows he wont be a starter next season. Makes sense to part ways.

Good summary.

It says a lot about the state of the club that other than teenagers like Saka and Martinelli, Xhaka was the most useful senior player Arteta found on the roster in December 2019.

I think weā€™ll miss his leadership and physical presence but its clearly a spot we can upgrade and the stories about him leaving seem positive in that it suggests we have very clear plans for doing so.

One big question is whether Xhaka out and somebody like Rice in is enough or whether Xhaka leaving actually suggests that there might be another addition in midfield too.

Tap-in

ā‚¬15m fee

Eduā€¦ :facepalm:

Footballing anti Christ

1 Like

The right move. 15m a decent fee for a pensioner.

Surprised heā€™d give up CL football for Leverkusen. Theyā€™re 7th and the best they can do is the Conference. Hmmm.

I think itā€™s the right thing for both parties. Good luck to him.

Now letā€™s go and fucking make a statement and get someone big for the role! No excuses whatsoever here Edu.

1 Like

Why should he apologise? Arsenal fans prior to the game for weeks were commenting nasty stuff on his Instagram. They even made horrible remarks on his new born at the time.

Long gone are the days where players like Eboue would ignore their own fan base booā€™ing etc.

Xhaka is a character, any other player would have long gone but he gave Arteta his word and actually showed he can work well under a good coach with a proper system in play.

I donā€™t think Iā€™ll miss his performances, his role is easily replaceable but I will most definitely miss his personality, character and courage. Many players in our team are not built like that.

4 Likes

Letā€™s be real though.

The dudeā€™s a sycophant whoā€™s not really all that good at football.

He was a Saliba injury from winning the prem this season. Would have been a beautiful send off :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

What does that say about Wenger, Emery and Arteta who chose not to sell him if in your words he wasnā€™t all that good?

For him to be playing for Arsenal for 7 years and that too consistently throughout the 7 seasons Iā€™d say he was a good footballer. Replaceable yes but letā€™s not suddenly disregard his footballing abilities.

Donā€™t forget sexy Freddie.

But yeh it shouldnā€™t take a decade and a handful of managers to find out Xhaka is actually as good as his international form.

I donā€™t even mind the dude, he stopped picking his nose and heā€™s still a bit of a cunt. Thatā€™s Captain material in the banter era. Though I pray to fucking God weā€™re moving away from that.

No matter how romantic we want to be Ode and Partey are just a different class from Xhaka. Weā€™ve unfortunately seen it a lot this season.

Yeh fun dude. Canā€™t wait till heā€™s gone personally

3 Likes

They can still win the EL.

Yep

For all this talk about his upturn in form, he still went desperately missing during our blip in late Jan/early Feb and in April he may well have been celebrating Easter (for four weeks)

1 Like

Your faith in your boy is lacking