Gonzalo Higuaín

Wouldn’t there be competition from Chelsea and United aswell?

Chelsea have Costa and Batsuyhi

United have Ibra Martial and Rashford

1 Like

Turned down £800k a week? Clearly waiting for Arsenal’s better offer.

2 Likes

Not keen on swapping our only one striker tbh. We need an ADDITIONAL striker.

Can see a scenario where we get Higuain and he gets injured leaving us with Walcott lol

3 Likes

Do you want a normal striker + Giroud or the best in the World plus solutions like Walcott and Sanchez? I prefer Higuain.

4 Likes

We need quality and quantity. But its the former that is hardest to get so there is no way I turn down a Higuain/Giroud swap deal if the money is not crazy. It would then be easy to find a backup striker.

Normally, whenever I see a swap deal I just assume its bullshit as they hardly ever happen and have too many moving parts. But this might be the rare situation in which all four parties actually would like the deal to happen. Napoli should want to sell Higuain this summer as he will be worth a lot less next summer going into the final year of his deal and one year older. Higuain clearly would like to move and we could give him wages that would entice him but wouldn’t be crazy. And Giroud would probably prefer to be first choice at Napoli rather than a backup at Arsenal, especially since he’d likely sign a new deal that would extend his contract past 2018 and give him more security going into his 30s.

3 Likes

Giroud not being good enough was everyone’s complaint, not that we didn’t have enough Girouds.

Swapping him for Higuain is a drastic improvement.

3 Likes

Yeh I can’t really understand all the reservations about Giroud needing to stay.

If he did stay in an ideal world he’d spend 90 percent of the season on the bench. Come January if Welbz is looking unfit surely it would be easier to go find a Giroud replacement - your Bony/Ba tier strikers - than a world class player like Higuain.

Hell if we landed Higuain I’d be entirely happy to give that Asano kid a shot as the second or third choice with Theo.

1 Like

My opinion has always been that Giroud IS good enough but can’t do it all alone. I wouldn’t want to lose him. Imagine Giroud and Higuain in the box if we’re trying to grab a late goal.

5 Likes

what happened to Sanogo? is he still at the club?

edit: <-- pink letter/avatar? some @Persona might get jealous

3 Likes

Nothing wrong in having both. In fact its what we need. There will be times when Higuain isn’t firing and we could potentially have no one to turn to. Having one established striker isn’t enough to win the league.

4 Likes

Sanogo is coming for you…

5 Likes

Neil Banfield has basically confirmed that offer is true.

1 Like

Can you imagine if we had someone who could finish chances week in week out? Uh :weary:

1 Like

Can you imagine if we had someone who could create his own scoring chances when the game is asking to? :henry2:

Pretty obvious now there’s definitely something to the Higuain links and it’s not just bullshit. Still can’t see it happening though, I’d be extremely surprised if De Laurentiis allows him to leave, but at least we’re trying I guess.

1 Like

He let Cavani go before when he was on of the best in Europe. Higuain has been there for 3 years now, he wants a new challenge in the right time before it’s too late. I’m not losing hope totally on this :confused:

According to my mate, in Gazzetta are sure about a meeting tomorrow between De Laurentiis and Dick Law.

I actually think De Laurentiis would like to sell. Next summer Higuian will be 29, in the final year of his contract, and no doubt coming off a season considerably worse than this last one. Its now or never if they want to sell Higuain for a big price. In addition, as long as they bring in somebody decent to replace Higuain, Napoli should be a strong favorite to hold onto a CL place given that Roma just sold their best player and Inter also looks likely to sell key players. They’re not going to win the Scudetto whether they sell or keep Higgy. But they can probably hold on to 2nd or 3rd either way so its a good time to transition.

De Laurentiis is a smart guy and the smart thing to do is to sell relatively high this summer if he can. But my worry is that “relatively high” for De Laurentiis is still higher than Wenger will be willing to go.

4 Likes

The Neapolitan journalists are sure about a deadline: 25th July. During next 12 days Napoli, Arsenal and his agent will decide his future.