Golf

We played the Olympic course in Rio yesterday where Justin Rose won gold in the 2016 Olympics. Huge Guinea pigs (Capybara) on the course. My son (pictured) shot a 73 off the 7,143 yard tees and I shot an 80 on the 6,300 yard ones.

Lovely playing in the warm again.

3 Likes

Sounds like he was pressured into taking back what he said about Saudi. Iā€™m not sure what it was but I bet it was totally justified criticisms.

1 Like

He got a lot of stick by other golfers despite his statement, that had both critique and praise against Saudi regarding the pro golf tour theyā€™re starting. What a mess.
Everyone is afraid of upsetting poor Saudi and China.

2 Likes

After a stressful week Iā€™m enjoying watching the players championship with the strong winds making it really tough on the best players in the world. Makes them look human after all. Wish we could see this more often.

2 Likes

Am I the only one watching the US masters?

My favourite major every year. Just love it and really look forward to it.

Along with Pebble Beach itā€™s one of the courses Iā€™d love to play most before I die but Iā€™m not sure if I ever will especially with Augusta being ultra private and members guests only.

Iā€™m going to play a top track tomorrow rather than following the Arsenal match. Just hope I can overcome my long Covid stricken body to play ok.

3 Likes

This was much better than following the Arsenal this afternoon. My buddy pictured hitting the shot played well and won the match.

4 Likes

Youā€™re not the only one watching by the way. I love a bit of golf. I always watch the majors. Looked like Scheffler might run away with it for a while. He still might. But at least itā€™s only a 3 shot lead now, rather than the 6 shot lead he had for a while earlier.

Iā€™m hoping Danny Willett can hold on to top 10. I bet on him each way at 250/1.

2 Likes

Could get exciting if Scheffler makes a few water shots.

Amazing round from Rory

Guy would really have to fuck it from here to miss out.

1 Like

It was a good tournament and fun to see a full crowd again (Iā€™ve even missed the typical ā€˜Muricans screaming ā€˜in the holeā€™ after every single stroke by Tiger).
A deserved victory for Scottie Scheffler, although I was a bit gutted when Smith hit the water on the 12th. Could have been a nervy ending otherwise. Fun to see Rory play as good as he did too.

Btw is there some beef between Scheffler and Smith? Each time Scheffler holed out first, he just left and started walking to the next tee.

2 Likes

That triple bogey on the 12th was a disaster for Smith.

2 Likes

He needs to get a short back and sides and a shave. The mullet got in his eyes on his downswing on 12 with the breeze swirling to terrible consequence.

Hopefully he can use some of his prize money for a trip to the barbershop for a good tidy up.

2 Likes

I find his look rather refreshing though :sweat_smile: Wonder how heā€™d look in a green jacket.

1 Like

Fuck watching this shit team on Sunday. Iā€™m going to fuck off to the golf course and not coming home until itā€™s all over. Then Iā€™m going to watch the final round of the US pga with a good glass of wine.

1 Like
1 Like

That reporter was removed by security at one point. LIV officials said he wasnā€™t being polite. He was simply asking the tough questions that need to be asked.

2 Likes

Whatā€™s happening here then

Breakaway tour that many nearly past it golfers and a few not so past it are joining for ridiculously large amounts of Saudi money.

They admit mostly theyā€™re just doing it for the money.

Personally I find it a shame not least because these players are no longer on the other top tours playing with the other top players. Very hard to know how to judge them morally on this. At worst you could accuse them of selling out to a dirty regime and having no morality in the process in exchange for huge payments.

3 Likes

Iā€™m sure they legitimise it with the opinion (for themselves) that sponsors on the other tours also use the game as sportswashing of sorts. That may be true, but two wrongs doesnā€™t make a right and this tour is so obviously connected to Saudi and money. In a few years thisā€™ll be old news and (sadly) business as usual.

3 Likes

Wtf man.

Where is this pressure for the US government???

How are you giving more pressure to golfers who are trying to make some extra cash?