Gianluigi Buffon

I remember people alleging his chosen shirt number of 88 was a bit fashy, with H being the 8th letter of the alphabet, 88 = Heil Hitler

On it’s own it always seemed a massive reach, without looking into it I assumed that he must have expressed some other sort of semi pro fascist message earlier in his life for people to reach that conclusion.

He wasn’t a Nazi supporter but was a big Luton fan and 1988 is the season they beat us to win the League Cup. :grinning:

Buffon was accused of being a fascist after writing a slogan of Benito Mussolini on his shirt while playing for Parma. He insisted that he didn’t know what the words meant.

“They are negative experiences in life that serve to mature you,” he told El Pais in 2013.

"I’m not ashamed of myself because I didn’t do it in bad faith. When I failed, I did it because of ignorance, not to send messages to the outside.

“Mistakes are important because they remind you that you are human. They will remind you that you know nothing, my friend. It’s important because the football world tries to convince you that you’re special, but it reminds you that you’re no different to a barman or an electrician.”

3 Likes

That is what you’d probably say regardless though, innit? :grin:

So you were right here.

I’ve never really bought it to the extent of regarding him a fascist, but I also never really found his explanation for the shirt number to be that strong.

“I have chosen 88 because it reminds me of four balls and in Italy we all know what it means to have balls: strength and determination,” he said. “And this season I will have to have balls to get back my place in the Italy team.”

I guess you can get the benefit of the doubt for accidentally promoting fascist slogans or messaging twice, if there was a third example I think I’d be tempted to come to a different conclusion :joy:

1 Like

Does not pass the vibe check for me.

2 Likes

I must admit the four balls excuse is pushing the boundaries of imagination

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1686436453792829474

What a ludicrously long career at the top level.

1 Like

One of the best goalkeepers in the history of football :goat:

The best goalkeeper of all time. This video is from something like 2009- just an absurd goalkeeper. His longevity is basically unrivalled.

At his very best he was undoubtedly the best goalkeeper in the world

3 Likes

You’re probably one of the biggest Serie A connoisseurs here, which year/period do you think was his peak?

For me mid-2000s Buffon was otherworldly.

Someone once told me how Buffon doesn’t need to make many flashy saves because he’s so well positioned most of the times. Arguably the greatest keeper this game has seen.

He makes fashy saves

5 Likes

Those ties are alleged. He just loves the number 88 because it’s a bunch of circles. Nothing suspicious about it.