Gianluigi Buffon

I figured after I posted because I remember you not being a huge Casillas fan on the old boards lol. But I can’t help myself, I bite all the time lol

2 Likes

Granted I responded to a specific discussion about Buffon, but mine was totally a general point. I watch basically no Serie A or Juventus so I’m not even slightly in a position to assess whether Buffon deserves the award or not.

So yeah, beyond saying that I think what a team achieves has way too much bearing on how individual honours are distributed, I have nothing to contribute to this discussion in relation to Buffon.

[quote=“Bl1nk, post:15, topic:1111, full:true”]
A true football icon, who will never be forgotten. What a role model too.

Love this pic of him joining a random game of football on holiday campsite :smiley: imagine having Buffon in your team all of a sudden, haha.

Fixed it for ya! :+1:

2 Likes

Leaving PSG after one season.

Impossible. He said he wants to return to Italy - the reason he’s leaving PSG is because he said his experience outside of Italy had concluded.

3 Likes

On a side note, love the wording

‘Buffon wants to play Champions League next season and the club can only offer Europa League’

Yeah. Time to join Lega Nord imo

Rumours it was Parma or the team he supports (Catania?)

didn’t we learn from signing Cech, could see the same thing happening if it were to happen

Will be 46 when his contract is up. I watch some highlights of Parma games out of interest and he always seems to do well. Seems he still has good reflexes and he’s obviously a commanding presence.

It’s a shame Parma didn’t bounce back to the Serie A as would have been nice to see him play in the Serie A again.

Crazy that at 44 he’s still playing at a good level.

4 Likes

Think Van Der Sar would have been relevant at 44 as well if he didn’t decide to retire and care for his wife

1 Like

Is he the best ever for you?

I think he gets that accolade for my money.

2 Likes

Couldn’t think of anyone better in my eyes. At his peak he was the best in the world and even 10 years after his prime he was still as good as most keepers so I think on quality and longevity - he’s the goat

6 Likes

Going to keep an eye out for the “Darksied is typing” icon now. :eyes:

:grin:

2 Likes

:goat: :goat: :goat:

2 Likes

Never won a CL in his career. I find that astounding. Lost in 3 finals.

That’s probably the only negative. To have an almost 30 year career at the highest level in this era is just unbelievable.

In the last 30 years, it’s him and Schmeichel who are the top two imo. Whilst Schmeichel I think was more of a match winning keeper (never seen such presence and star factor in a goalkeeper), you can’t deny Buffon’s insane longevity, consistency and trophy haul.

Guys like Kahn, Neuer, Cech and van der Sar just below them. Casillas I always thought was over-rated but his medal haul is outrageous.

6 Likes

I think he was easily nr 1 during a few years, but his last seasons in RM tarnished that legacy. I believe Barthez to be the most overrated in comparison skill-trophies. He’s got the CL, 2 PL, WC, Euros. That’s insane for such a mediocre keeper.

Isn’t he a Mussolini guy though? Or was that just a nasty rumor.

Ah I remember this, I think he wrote something on a shirt while at Parma when he was younger. He later apologised profusely saying he was young and didn’t know what it meant.
So really you’re gonna have to make up your own mind about him.