General News

I was referencing today. Tell me how your moral compass has been derailed on this one.

Why wont people think of the poor flowers?

Its far more likely you’ll be delayed by a crash than a just stop oil protestor. Are car crashes annoying?They usually happen due to driver error. Maybe we should get rid of cars. Everyone wins then.

1 Like

A good protest is one that engages and educates the public, even better if it has some humour. I’ve been involved with a few in my time including the 2003 London march against the Iraq invasion.

I agree with the premise of Just Stop Oil’s campaign, but have long worried that their excessive tactics play into the Government’s authoritarian approach to dissenters and will make more sedate protesting even harder in future. The Met Police’s treatment of the peaceful “not my king” protest being a case in point.

2 Likes

I don’t know how productive a protest like that was, but I can sympathise by those taking drastic action. Tbh they should be going a lot further when you consider the emergency we face.

Firebombing the Exxon HQ for example.

Not advocating that, but I’d understand.

2 Likes

The Suffragette playbook

How are they similar things, may I ask?

I didn’t bring this one up mate.

F*cking hell, sorry - I’m all over the place on this one. The thread went nuts since I made a comment on it and now I’ve totally lost track!!

@InvincibleDB10 over to you

1 Like

You don’t have the right to have an uninterrupted journey to work. My rights have not been violated when my train to work is delayed or cancelled.

2 Likes

I mean football matches inconveniences people trying to get too work and public transport.

1 Like

I can certainly understand Just Stop Oil’s desperation to get the message across. You’re spot on, the climate is f**ked and governments across the world aren’t doing enough to decrease our reliance on fossil fuels.

I just wish they could be a bit more like Led By Donkeys and effectively highlight which MPs are taking money from the oil lobby and voting to put sewage in rivers.

2 Likes

This is very true for alot of ecowarrior enviro-fundmentalist types.

Their protest is more about self aggrandisement within their own circle rather than building any kind of sustainable grassroots movement in respect reducing reliance on fossils.

I see the stunts they pull and it just seems silly to me especially when you consider UK relatively low carbon emissions. Sure they capture public attention form time to time but are they objectively making a real impact in respect of the cause? I don’t believe so

2 Likes

It hasn’t but if someone wasn’t able to get to a hospital because of a protester disrupting the traffic,
they should punished accordingly.

As I say, people can protest as much as they like as long as they realise that the people they’re disrupting have every right to vent their frustration back at them.

2 Likes

Ironic thing about just stop oil is that some of they funding come from oil trust fund babies :rofl:
How do you make oils expensive? Push governments to make stupid legislation limiting the use pushing prices up

Edit: then people complain the companies are making to much profit and the bills are to high :rofl:

2 Likes

I actually don’t doubt you’re right but you know that how?

Didn’t realise the Scottish police force was filled with Spanish and Italian officers

Eh?

(Or should I say “que?”)

[quote=“shamrockgooner, post:13142, topic:187, full:true”]but you know that how?
[/quote]

I wish you luck with that :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like