General News

I don’t but I think that the “protesters” are twats for ruining other non-oil affiliated people’s efforts.

How would they feel if to protest against their protests Shell or BP threw oil over their house/garden?

No need to interfere with other people’s work or property or public art or…

2 Likes

If they stop people getting to work then they’re not going to endear themselves to anyone and get what they deserve.
Most people are already aware of climate change and oil production, if they’re not, then they probably don’t care enough to read further than the headlines so the protests won’t make any difference.

There are plenty ways to protest without making it more difficult for people who actually have jobs to get to work, like chaining themselves to Buckingham Palace or Greta Thunberg.

Maybe throwing paint on art, is itself art :slight_smile:

1 Like

Funny how he waited till he was leaving before dropping the bombshell…not saying it isnt true but the timing…

Not great probably.

Generally agree but IDGAF about any garden at the flower show so :man_shrugging:

This has barely happened in reality though. Maybe if it ever does happen to me I’ll be annoyed but I’d probably be annoyed if an accident delayed me so :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Which is fine, I don’t care about a flower show either, but this week it’s a flower show, next week it is Arsenal football games or something you do care about

1 Like

Part of the reason the Tories can so easily get away with legislation limiting the right to protest is because some people seem to think that protest is fine as long as it doesn’t cause any tangible disruption. Even though a protest that causes zero disruption is typically one that can easily be ignored entirely.

Part of the cost of living in an open, free, democratic society is accepting that people will from time to time create disruption via protest, and that yes, occasionally this will even inconvenience you personally, though the chances of that are very small.

3 Likes

Causing damage is more than an inconvenience. Does the right to protest supersede other people’s rights?

2 Likes

I don’t think I’d be too put out if they disrupted an Arsenal game tbh. Unless they set fire to the pitch or tore down a goalpost the game would probably continue a few minutes later. Unless they protest oil by attacking me my family or :chester: I think I’m.pretty much OK with them.doing what they do.

Again I’ve said above I’d probably be annoyed if I was personally delayed but that is regardless the reason I was delayed.

I look at the story there and I think ahah eejits, but equally maybe it makes me think I’ll walk to the shops later instead of taking the car for the sake of saving myself about 8 minutes. That’s what they’re after and even if they have no idea if it’s working they don’t feel they can do nothing so here we are.

You can be annoyed or outraged by it if you want, bit their message is getting through and that’s what they want.

1 Like

I wasn’t referring to the specific case of Just Stop Oil and the Chelsea Flower Show, more making a general comment on the suggestion that protest isn’t ok if it does things like disrupt people getting to work etc.

We’re still awaiting an official comment from the Downing Street car crash…
regarding the Downing Street car crash.

Sure, however disrupting someone getting to work could be damaging to that person or many people’s livelihoods or are those people’s needs/rights less important than the needs/rights of those “protesting”.

Part of one wanting to exercise a right to protest has to also take into consider other people’s rights - or who gets to decide who’s rights are more important?

1 Like

It would interesting to see if the people who are ok with protesters disrupting commuters going to work would they be as tolerant if they disrupted a Gay Pride march or a Sam Smith concert. :grinning:

he does that himself…

2 Likes

It would be also interesting if those who oppose the protesting would be as upset if it was a Gay Pride March or Sam Smith concert :grinning:

2 Likes

As protest go, they’re pretty tame.

1 Like

I find it comical that people can feel outrage over this.

Absofuckinglutley!

If it stops people getting to work, hospital, interviews, airports, etc, it’s extremely annoying.
Just as they have the right to protest so do the people they disrupt about their selfish behaviour.

1 Like