General News

I do. For the most part they’re great people. Some crazies on the left and right aside. :slight_smile:

Wonder how she turned down the invite and got the papers too report it.
That’s some close friend.

2 Likes

It’s not real Strolls. It’s from The Onion. All their stuff is satire.

5 Likes

So is most of mine. Any vacancies.

5 Likes

Someone at The Times fucked up :grimacing:

The English edition was fine. So guess we just blame the Scots for this.

Seriously though, this is so basic. I was expected to pick things like that up as a junior sub editor. That page would have gone through several people and not one of them thought “hang on a minute…”

1 Like

3 Likes

What nonsense.
It’s the people that complain to a TV show about this sort of thing who really are the problem.

1 Like

Yeah that’s fucking stupid.

Like with Ellie Page.

I get she’s Elliot now but I spent the last 20 years watching her in movies as Ellie Page so forgive me if I forget she changed gender especially since she’s not really active anymore.

1 Like

I think it’s just about not being a dick. If you’re doing it on purpose to cause the person some pain then you’re a bit of a cunt in my view. If you’re just not really thinking too hard and it happens by accident or, in Bobs case you’re telling a story, so be it no one should really be getting on your case.

5 Likes

I hate the world we live in

1 Like

I agree, if someone goes out of their way to irritate them, then that’s wrong.
But in the same way it’s annoying for the rest of us to have to tread on egg shells and keep up with the endless pronouns these people come out with.

Sam Smith is one of the most petulant celebrities, take a look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/lz3OEElKHak

Rather than complaining about people laughing at him for the way he dresses, it might be easier to avoid going out dressed like a clown.

1 Like

Out of random interest I checked numerous articles and they all reference 1-4 tweets (Some don’t even claim who tweeted them) with low views as a source for this “outrage”. For all I know this might not be a problem really.

Think the media should be more responsible.

7 Likes

Surely a better message to send is “I’ll dress however I like, and if you don’t like it you can jog on”.

I only discovered him recently, and he already seems like a twat.

2 Likes

Forgetting is one thing, it’s more when you are aware of it and still call them by their old name and refer to them as a “she” when they don’t identify as such.

I’ve only interacted with one trans person IRL and their perspective was that mistakes will happen and they don’t get at all mad unless people are intentionally misgendering or “deadnaming” them in a malicious way.

I think the vast majority of trans/NB people want to try and quietly live their life and absolutely don’t want to make a big deal put of people mistakenly getting it wrong, cos it’s just aggro and attention they don’t need.

The problem is that 25 people probably complained to Ofcom, or did a tweet about Bob Geldof, and media outlets report this and give the impression that thousands/millions of people were outraged and calling for Bob Geldof to get thrown in jail or some such shit. This then leads to people thinking the left in general, and trans community specifically, are absolutely unhinged and hysterical.

This happens across all media on all topics. I remember when Mkhitaryan played for us and there were headlines about Arsenal fans getting big mad at Kim Kardashian for not speaking up on his behalf when he couldn’t travel to Baku for the EL final. Turns out it was two random cunts on twitter having a joke, and not some massive groundswell of angry gooners harassing a Kardashian lol, but media reporting and headlines gave a totally different impression.

Media reporting of petty social media drama among small groups is a big problem, all it does is hugely amplify small issues and spread false impressions about how widespread these views or attitudes are. Very few people give a shit about Bob Geldof’s faux pas, but it’ll be being discussed in many corners of the internet today and frothing people up about rabid snowflakes taking over the world when it’s really not that deep.

Edit: just seen that @RockyMaivia just covered this more succinctly, I fucking knew it’d be based on a mere handful of tweets.

3 Likes

He/him, she/her, they/their.

Don’t be fooled by the 96 genders talk, again this is such niche stuff that nobody is expected to actually know. The pronouns aren’t endless, it’s the same three sets of pronouns that already exist in the English language, just being applied slightly differently to how they always have been.

3 Likes

I’ve seen a few clips of him recently, and he comes across really badly.

He does seem like a bit of a knob, and really unintelligent.

4 Likes

In the real world none of this is an actual problem, it’s seems to be only on social media people on both sides that people are getting outraged for the sake of being outraged.

3 Likes