General News

Lol I doubt that’s the word they would be using :rofl:

I wholeheartedly disagree with every fibre in my body. This notion that people depending on skin colour have to mindful of crap they have nothing to do with just to talk to me is bs. Why does every interaction I have have to be predicated on the fact that I’m black? That in itself is racist as you are making every judgment about me on the fact I’m black. This why I always say progressive types always treat minorities as kids rather than adults with they own agency. Such a ridiculous thing to say

3 Likes

It’s not predicated on it. It’s not, at least in my experience and opinion, just requiring basic awareness and self control that white people haven’t been asked to have in the past.

We had a judge who used to ask black women if their hair was real. That’s kind of fucked up in my opinion because it’s not anyone’s business and also not a question she’d ever ask a white attorney.

It’s not treating anyone like a child, it’s treating them like a human being.

Racism isn’t racist, TALKING about racism is racist! :xhaka:

One thing white supremacists on the internet love to do is cynically claim they’re black to justify whatever bigotry they’re about to defend.

Racism is about context. The initial posted event was both racist and sexist.

The stuff about he was just a drunk guy having fun or women only complain if it’s an unattractive guy saying and doing these things is the height of ignorance.

2 Likes

I can confirm that if only attractive guys were able to successfully flirt that I would not be married. It’s really just about not being a creep.

Again when was I not a human? So you say it’s not predicated on the fact of being black when everything you say points that way. I’m sorry some judge asking a black woman if her hair is real or not is nothing to do with her being white and more about her being a dickhead and the fact black women more often than not wear weave.

And yes is treating black people like children going out your way to be inoffensive in case you hurt someone’s fee fees. Why not interact with a black person like you would everyone else if you believe we are equal? You do realize we aren’t some black monolith hive mind like every white person is not the same.

@ryaninho does racism exist?

I guess we’ll agree to disagree. I think it’s just not being an asshole.

And I’m aware black people aren’t a monolith and what may offend some people wouldn’t offend you but that’s only more of a reason to not ask weird questions.

It’s a condescending notion that people need to check they thinking to talk to black people just in case offense is taken. Sorry talk to me like you would everyone else thank you very much

2 Likes

I don’t think I’d like to waltz around Harlesden or Tottenham greeting black people and asking them if their chocolate families are ok haha.

It’s terminology that can be taken out of context by anyone.

1 Like

It’s not just talking to black people. I’d hope people wouldn’t ask me if I had sex through a sheet or if I had a tail or something.

Fair play if you think it’s condescending. You have your own anecdotal evidence and life experiences. I’m not trying to say you’re wrong.

:rofl: anything thing can be taken out of context “there goes the our neighborhood now that chocolate family has moved next door.”

As a individual you can take offense to what offends you as there is no universality to offense. No one person is the same I maybe black but I have little in common to American black or a Nigerian as I’m Saint Lucian culturally a lot different

Counterpoint: Someone calls you a Spurs fan. That is universally offensive.

2 Likes

Yes I concede you win

:smile: feel like I’ve walked into a 70s sitcom here.

1 Like

The guy wasn’t actually too bad looks-wise but someone can instantly become unattractive once they open their mouth.

I think we may have tolerated his comments for a few minutes longer than we would have otherwise, but for me, creepy behaviour will always be off putting regardless of whether I fancied them or not. There are many nice looking guys who are sweet on the inside that I wouldn’t want to spend time rationalising a weirdo lol

5 Likes

That’s fair.

I know we humans are visual creatures, but I struggled with the notion that a woman would put up with creepy, obnoxious behaviour, as long as the person in question was attractive.

But then again, I have known men who would fit that category, and they sometimes have partners…

And it is.

6 Likes

If you can get legally married at 16 then I see no reason to not let people change their legal gender status at the same age. If a 16 year old can enlist in the army, why not legally change their gender too? Getting married or joining the army carry far greater potential for harm than changing your gender on a bit of paper and government systems.

It’s their legal status on a bit of paper, if they change their mind they can pay a fee to have the administrative process reversed and switched back to their original gender. Its not irreversible surgery or any sort of physiological procedure, so really, what is the harm here?