General News

1 Like

Whatā€™s the contention here of people who disagree with the link postedā€¦that Brexit has had zero effect on the UK economy?

The Guardian and modern middle class liberalism

6 Likes

George floyd did not put me in touch with anything, just made me despise certain people

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Haha damn true

3 Likes

lol when you say it like that it should start to make sense to the doomers but no they go straight to Brexit :joy:

Yeah itā€™s very unfortunate Covid occurred when it did but itā€™s better to have it at the start of a new trading dynamic rather than later. I still donā€™t think people truly understood what actually occurred during covid and how much damage lockdown did to govt finance

3 Likes

It feels like a strawman to an extent, at least based on what Iā€™ve seen, because who is out there denying the massive impact lockdowns had on our economy? The idea that lockdowns were bad for the economy is basically political and economic orthodoxy, who is denying it or saying they arenā€™t/werenā€™t economically harmful?

Where Brexit is brought into the conversation is to look at the reasons why we seem to be worse off now economically and harder hit than other countries who also had lockdowns as strict or stricter than ours, as Elec, Jules, Forever and Leper have all said or alluded to. So far nobody appears to have even attempted to actually offer a direct rebuttal to this specific counter point.

5 Likes

Our country never recovered from the financial crisis in 07 Just been a decline relative to our peers for 15years.

4 Likes

Why do you think it is that we never recovered and are doing so poorly comparative to our peers? I always feel like since the crash in ā€˜07 thereā€™s rarely been a positive story about the economy

Austerity

An awful decision

Tories are awful for the economy - for 99% of people.

They might be good for the Times rich list though.

7 Likes

Itā€™s a bit of a nonpoint really, its about gives and takes. Not all economies are built the same nor do they recover in the same way. Sure, itā€™s valid to say being in the EU gives a member greater short term stability in their recovery as they have access to EU debt bonds and direct ECB relief but that has an obvious long term effect, particularly on major economies propping the EU up (which would include the UK if we remained)

The UK is sub 4 years into an entirely new trading relationship that has been disrupted hugely by COVID and the Ukraine conflict. Even before that it was never suggested that the short term impact of Brexit wouldnā€™t be huge or that the UK would experience smooth sailing or that there wouldnā€™t be drawbacks from the start.

Medium and long term future UK is fine. If youā€™re ideologically opposed to Brexit youā€™re going to find things to support your stance regardless, thatā€™s why itā€™s a pointless discussion.

Iā€™ve never brought into established media forecasting or doomongering about the UK, particularly on Brexit.

2 Likes

I think the decisions made around 2012 by the government were fairly fatal tbh. Instead of investment to let the economy grow again we basically slaughetered it at the alter in the name of cutting the deficit. Obviously Brexit and Covid have had a masisve impact but the fundamentals were fucked then.

Hard to see things improve anytime soon, and that really is regardless of who is in power.

4 Likes

My post was largely a response to the strawman constructed around the people who supposedly mention Brexit with regards to our economic woes while apparently ignoring or denying the economic impact of lockdowns, but thatā€™s not the focus of your reply.

On what you did say in your post

Rather than being a non point, it sounds like its a point you probably agree with to a reasonable extent, as your post goes on to essentially acknowledge ways in which not being in the EU has not been good for the economy in the short term, which supports the point others have been making, when you say:

and

(By the way people [not everyone] definitely did suggest that sort of thing or hugely downplay it)

Lets not act like this is not very fucking much a two way street on this front.

@ryaninho you liked this?! :grin:

Brexit must be the greatest victory that people arenā€™t allowed to mention :slight_smile:

Thereā€™s a difference between acknowledging current economic realities in a balanced and objective way compared to weaponizing data to feed an existing bias for the purpose of doomongering and negative forecasting, like remainers do at every opportunity which is why i thin itā€™s non point

The human mind is binary on very complex issues. Brexit is either good or bad, there is a middle grey area where you can examine the effects and impacts without coming to a particular side either way

1 Like

Lol I know I did the thing is Iā€™m not some fanatic like the caricature of me in most of you guys heads. The government has its part to play in this woeful recovery. They did a uturn on the deficit to spend like crazy making things worse

2 Likes

By the way most people who voted brexit knew there was going to be a hit to the economy. I donā€™t know where this idea of people not knowing comes from. What most are saying it is not the biggest reason for it. The lockdown was far worse for the economy than brexit

1 Like