General News

I bet this fat old hag is a much higher drain on services than any immigrant that contributes to taxes and works.

2 Likes

might not be because of the Green Lobby but…

The German green party policy on nuclear is so stupid and unrealistic.

Stick to the coal and gas then you dumb fucks

1 Like

Yeah we are super against nuclear here in NZ too. Our PM even declared climate change as our current day “nuclear-free moment”, the irony of this being that nuclear is a key part of addressing the climate change issue lol

For context: like 30+ years ago when it was popular to be super anti-nuclear our PM at the time took a hard anti-nuclear stance which remains to this day. At the time we were apparently lauded for it. Wasn’t born then so cant confirm first-hand but that’s what it seems like.

2 Likes

We bury nuclear waste deep down in the bedrock. Why can’t we build plants down there too? Surely must be safer?

They need immediate access to water, which is why they are usually built on coasts. If you bury the power station, not only would you have to clear an ungodly about of bedrock in order to fit the entirety of the station down there (which would be an engineering nightmare), you then have to be able to pump all that water down, adding an unnecessary risk.

That’s my guess.

1 Like

Yeah that makes sense. But I mean it shouldn’t be impossible to find a safer solution like that. But on the other hand it’s probably not very profitable in the short run.

It would be crazy expensive, and not practical.

Interesting podcast on energy and some of the reason why we are where we are at

So Germany will be soon on massive shortages of coal, oil and gas.

This looks promising for the collapse of the German industry and Europe’s largest economy.

Some big brainiacs in power over there.

1 Like

Not with that kind of attitude it isn’t.

I think if we restarted the jaeger program we could probably build something underground.

Ireland is a bit similar…maybe even more reluctant if anything as I don’t even feel the conversation has been had here… all sides have just landed on Nuclear not being an option.

Japan have had 5 nuclear meltdowns and still are ranking number one in centenarians. Two atomic bombs dropped. 5 meltdowns. Flora and fauna flourishing in Fukushima.

Meanwhile Green parties are paralyzing progress to save the earth because they rather burn fossil fuels like coal than adopt clean energy like nuclear fission.

Shitheads the bunch of them.

2 Likes

If it is anything like here it is mostly that they don’t know how it works, and fear of the unknown, not knowing how you get tchernobyl and how you don’t.

We had a popular vote here in 1980 on how to proceed with our reactors and I bet 99% of the ppl who voted belive that magic dwarves mine energy from magic ore supervised by fairies who when in a bad mood can make things that emit radiation (in the same way for example bananas or dead fish do) magically explode by itself. And I understand that, the risk-reward can make it seem like a really bad deal if alternatives technically exist.

Anyway there were three options and successive shutdowns with no final date kinda won and since we’ve shut down some but not all. I think we’re waiting for better alternatives to proceed further but there are none atm.

4 Likes

Yep, think that’s a huge part of it. I can’t begin to imagine what kind of a shit show Irish regulation of Nuclear would look like.

1 Like

I think it’s all well and good to think about nuclear energy but I have zero faith in the USA being able to regulate it in a safe way. Then you’d have to figure out where to put a new nuclear power plant.

Who’s going to volunteer to have that built in their backyard? We already have people who believe the 5G network is a prelude to Skynet and the COVID vaccine makes you magnetic. People wouldn’t trust the Dept. of Energy to built or maintain a plant like that.

And what happens when you have a total clown in charge of the department like Rick Perry? Not exactly a place you’d want to have a complete shithead pulling the strings.

2 Likes

Look, that’s an entirely different problem. You really don’t want me to get started on the clusterfuck that the current United States is… :slight_smile:

I’ll say this. All those old fucks who accumulate money to the detriment of other people’s lives be it by war or by environmental destruction are a sorry bunch. All that money and power but they die empty-hearted and lonely. Fuck them.

1 Like

I live here. I’m aware of how bad it is even if my privilege allows me to basically ignore all of it.

1 Like

It’s pathetic

Do they do any research on how much coal pollution affects people, and the throat, lung cancers that arise from that?

Also it seems new evidence shows we overestimated the cancers caused by the Chernobyl incident.

With meltdowns like that it seems the main issue is the acute radiation sickness and then the initial period.

Just because fossil is the status quo doesn’t mean there aren’t issues with that health wise either.

This nimbyism and ignorance annoys me so much.

Oh well, these pathetic non nuclear states will be left behind by those that do use it for energy production.

2 Likes

I’m not sure it’s that. People might acknowledge fossil fuels are an issue but when it’s time to close the mine that props up your town people may throw logic out the window.

1 Like