General News

Nice summary.

Very shit situation. London becoming a very increasingly grim and horrible city to live in and be a part of. Needs a huge collective effort to work a solution to this.

It is bad but it’s important to keep perspective.

There are some saying it’s the worst figures London has ever seen, and it’s worse than NY etc, but both are not the case.

1 Like

Could someone explain to me the postcode and gang situations as well as the feuds between them?

Is it just your standard “I live here, you live there ergo you must die” thing or is it more drug related “I can sell here, you can’t” etc. ?

Knife crime has been bad for years - it’s not a recent epidemic no matter how much the media try to peddle that narrative.

Figures are more widely reported now and a lot more knife crime is reported than in the past.

But I can say quite comfortably that knife crime in my area was worse 10-12 or so years ago than it is now.

5 Likes

Trying to get my head around why it’s so bad. One thing I noticed when I lived in China was that they have worse poverty, worst schools, probably worse parenting, certainly way worse police, but they don’t have a knife crime problem. So it has to be cultural.

Don’t autocratic societies/dictatorships tend to have less crime usually because of the much more severe repercussions and being ruled by more of an iron fist that tends to be much less forgiving?

2 Likes

I’m not sure how true that would be of China. China can be quite lawless. You see working class Chinese getting violent quite a lot, and there is no fear of the state, not in this regard.
I wouldn’t expect Chinese police to find anyone guilty of knife crime or anything. Their police are rubbish and corrupt. They have violent gangs of course. The main reason why young Chinese men don’t carry knives is because they just don’t think to do it. They are more likely to be thinking about their families, trying to make a living, I think their sense of place and function in the world is stronger. Social expectations are pretty strong. It’s tricky isn’t it, because you don’t want too much of that, but obviously that kind of social glue is effective.

1 Like

I haven’t lived in London for over 20 years, but knife crime was a big thing when I was.

But back then, it wasn’t really newsworthy.

1 Like

I mean you’d have to correlate gun, knife and acid crime across all big cities to analyse it. But it’s not like there hasn’t been violence in major cities involving all 3 for decades

There’s been post code versus post code wars in various cities for a long time now. It’s essentially a tribal warfare.

Doesn’t overly shock me, my mate was held up at knifepoint on Uxbridge rd walking home from the Shepard’s bush area one night a few years back.

Puzzles me as well.
There is a huge segment in every city of India which would be suffering from socioeconomic factors but that never translated into a rampant knife or gun culture.

1 Like
1 Like

They want to be back under British rule. Imperialism is King. Fire up the ships, it’s time to re-up the British Empire.

3 Likes

Exactly.

How bad do you fuck it up that your people WANT the British back?! :arteta:

It’s not that China fucked it up but once you go the democracy route, you can’t fathom allowing yourself being governed by the state

Hong Kong really likes Britain, and feels a strong connect to it. They must’ve been devastated when we handed them back to China. Imagine having to be fucking Chinese, when the day before you were British. Hong Kong was basically a swamp when Britain took it over, and we turned it into an economic powerhouse with democracy to boot.

6 Likes

Do you want Hong Kong in a swap for us?

We’ll go our separate ways. Hong Kong leaves Chinese rule. Everyone is happy.

1 Like

Apart from, most importantly, the Chinese lol

2 Likes

Sick (Chinese)burn

2 Likes

Give them Wales