General News

Cyclists are traffic. I don’t know why this isn’t thought as part of learning to drive. Sometimes the safest place to be is right in the middle of the lane so drivers don’t attempt close passes.

Jumping red lights, it’s all about how it’s done for me. If you bomb through you’re a cunt but approach with caution and proceed if safe to do so, I’ve never thought that was a big deal.

6 Likes

When I completed my cycling proficiency we were taught to respect the rules of the road and not jump red lights. Its these fckrs in lycra that cause these issues with vehicles !?

Have to say I disagree mate, red lights is a nono, like that stuff could get us killed.

Agreed on the lanes though, when we decide to go in the middle there’s a reason for it and the road is probably not safe to pass on anyways.

1 Like

I’ve never broken a red light on the bike in a way that put me or anybody else in danger. It’s legal in lots of places.

Is it? Whereabouts?

I just like to be cautious tbh, sometimes I won’t even filter through at junctions.

Check this out. This is what I’m talking about, not anyone tearing through. Two very different things.

1 Like

Ah shit fair play I never knew that.

I feel this kind of stuff should be more known to drivers sitting their tests, so they he more cycle aware.

1 Like

Thats in the US what about the UK ?

It should be introduced everywhere imo.

Personally don’t agree with it - the amount of people ive seen nearly getting killed is ridiculous. Also when pulling out of a road turning right I edged out into the traffic and a kid comes flying down the outside (I don’t see him til the last minute) had he been inside the traffic would have seen him clearly. When I reacted I managed to turn my car away from the kid who still managed to crash into the car and over the bonnet. He apologised and understood if I hadn’t reacted as I did to minimise the impact for him he would have been in a far worse state. Others that saw the incident agreed he was at fault - I was just glad he was alive and reasonably unhurt. Just don’t want anyone losing their life over something that really shouldn’t be an issue if the laws of the country are followed. Your life is in your hands and you make the decision to either follow the law or not.

1 Like

A side question to all - How cycle friendly are your respective cities?

Very - cycle lanes being set up more and more. Lot of cycle races go through Richmond Park and its surrounding gates etc. Cycling is a huge thing in London and traffic and motorists are generally on the whole made aware of the need to keep cyclists safety in mind. Problem is a number of cyclists generally couldn’t care about their own welfare with how they behave at junctions and streets by not using cycle lanes - putting themselves within traffic or generally jumping red lights straight into oncoming traffic.

1 Like

“Justice” it’s a funny concept

I will never understand the logic and reasoning behind how she got paid damages while she was at fault more so than the cyclist.

1 Like

This kind of demonstrates why cyclists and cars are incompatible with one another

I live in Holland and they’re very compatible over here. But that’s because cyclists are everywhere. And it’s rooted in our culture.

6 Likes

I agree. Cars should make way.

2 Likes

It’s becoming a lot better, and I feel safe enough especially if I’m ultra-cautious.

The thing with a city like Glasgow for cycling though is that it’s quite hilly, unlike Amsterdam and Copenhagen I assume which are flat.

So any cycling infrastructure has to account for that.

But I think city centres across Scotland and Europe seem to be moving away from cars and pedestrianising more and more.

Sauchiehall St which is like one of the main streets in Glasgow has just cut its car sapce in half for a new cycle lane.

More and more people are cycling as well so it’s getting there.

Personally, cycling is the best mode of transport for me, especially when dry.

And I say that as a driver who loves cars too.

3 Likes

I absolutely love the idea of the City being built to accommodate cycling.
It’s so much beneficial in so many ways - health, pollution, finance.

I was researching Vienna and they have a pretty good system wherein you can get by anywhere using bikes and you can end up paying just a euro for the month

In Gothenburg you can book a bike online and pick it up in various locations. You get a code in a app to unlock it. When you arrive to a stand near your destination you park it there and lock it in the stand and some one else can book it. If you use it less then 30 minutes it’s free of charge.

4 Likes