Gabriel Martinelli (11)

This really sums it up perfectly, don’t think anyone is going to add much to your post in terms of succinctly summing it up.

He got a goal and an assist so he gets a pass for everything afterwards, I just hope that we have no reason to rue that heavy pass at the end there in future.

1 Like

World class performance in the first half and his work rate throughout the game was top tier. However you really have to question his intelligence for him to not execute that simple pass to Saka.

Blessed to have Saka and Martinelli but we really need another winger in the summer. A natural proven world class winger ie Raphinha.

I blame you lot for jinxing him, lol.
Sensational in the first half, annoying stubborn in the second.

How many times did he try dribbling past everyone possible on counters when he had multiple options on?
He’s been doing it before this season and I said he needed to be more careful with it because we’ve been lucky it didn’t backfire but today he really overdid it, we were caught high up the pitch because of it.

1 Like

Is it possible that it was a deliberate tactic? Both of their fullbacks were on a booking.

1 Like

Doubt it. He’s done it before this season. I think it’s just a Martinelli thing. He’s really looking out for that solo goal all season. Think he got a bit cocky today with the way the first half went.

1 Like

I think that’s really harsh. None of our attack done well second half because the ball was permanently in our half and Liverpool were on the attack. Martinelli was the one who got us the 2-0 lead in this match. I wouldn’t describe his contribution in the second half as cocky.

He should have felt cocky. We had them, but to paraphrase Denny Green, Liverpool are who we thought they were and we let them off the hook.

Don’t get me wrong, I said he was sensational in the first half but some of the stuff he tried in the second half were incredibly selfish and unnecessary.
If anything, I’m trying to excuse him for perhaps feeling a bit confident with how the first half went for him.

I think he has a habit of holding onto the ball for too long. Alexis was guilty of that as well. Trouble is with players like that, they can give the ball away when they shouldn’t but equally they can deliver a moment of magic!

The real tragedy is that ESR’s career has been so badly derailed that Arteta would prefer Martinelli over him for the last 10-15 minutes of this match. A fit and firing ESR would have been huge.

3 Likes

Yeah, Alexis was guilty of it too.

Completely agree. ESR is our other player who can carry the ball at speed so could/should have been an option.

I prefer greedy Martinelli to the version who lost his confidence in February and just kept checking back. Yes, he overdid the dribbling at times but he was our danger man yesterday… He’s a different beast with Jesus around.

5 Likes
1 Like

Martinelli masterclass incoming today. Gonna have The 45 year old cunt Coufal on toast.

2 Likes

If you really need that much data to make a decision about a player you don’t know football.

I don’t know why are they even making such a big thing because they only signed based on the eye test, should be the primary thing, with the “data” in the background.

I guess transfers like this happen pretty regularly, we just got very, very, very lucky with Martinelli in the end.
Btw for a club like Arsenal (or basically any other club in the PL) there was literally zero risk paying 6-7M for him.

If anything we should invest more into our scouting network and do this more often.

1 Like

Without doubt our weakest link.
He needs to be replaced. Runs with his head down. Gets easily flustered and more often than not gets caught out. Possibly has the talent but not for me.

Assisted the second goal and been on fire this season.

Lineup wise our weakest links today were holding and Tierney.

Performance wise it was Partey and Saka.

5 Likes

At fault for none of the goals, assisted one and won a penalty. Point the finger elsewhere.

3 Likes

Blame him for his second half at Anfield but I genuinely can’t find too many bad things he did today, especially when you compare his performance to others.

1 Like

GM frustrates me . The talent is obviously there but he needs it coaching better .